cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sx720 image stabilization

completelocks
Contributor

Hi. Had the 720 a year now and love it. I am having trouble with the image stabilization when taking videos. I saw a promo video where a guy is taking video of a woman running, whilst running behind her, and the resulting video is like he is stood still.

No matter how I set my 720 it will not stabilize at all. It is impossible to get a still video at zoom. I need to support the camer on something like a wall..

Any ideas would be great.

Ta 😉

9 REPLIES 9

cicopo
Elite

Built in IS can't do that. It had to have been mounted in a stabilized gimbal similar to what are used on the better drones. Do a search for products from DJI for a better understanding of the idea.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

completelocks
Contributor
I have drones. I know how a gimbal works. Search for the pro more video of the 720 on the Canon site.

completelocks
Contributor
Pro mo*

newsense52
Rising Star

Vertical shakes occurs during camera panning then temporarily stops. Zoom first before you video "on", let camera autofocus works by itself. Good hands is the key to your desired goal, avoid too much coffee.

When IS mode is off, no vertical shakes ( handheld ). Dynamic IS is not lit for options.

Auto focus is not my issue. Camera shake while zoomed is. The pro mo video shows it as stable as poss, but this is never the case.

Of course the promo must be presented in a nice manner to entice the buyer.

But when you try it you can not get exactlly what the promo is presented, this means after production editing is best method.

Then that is false advertising

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Completelocks,

Thanks for posting.

For more aggressive image stabilization, go to IS Mode and ensure that this feature is enabled. Next, take a look just below that. You'll see Dynamic IS. Choose that, and select "Standard" or "High".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

completelocks
Contributor
Already done that. Just a bit disappointed with the level shown in the video I saw prior to buying the camera, and the actual level of stabilisation. ..

UpgradING to a Lumix ZS90
Announcements