cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sx160 issue

snoeblind
Apprentice

I have  a canon sx160 that will not turn on once I shut it off. I put in new high quality batteries. When I put in the batteries it comes right on. Once I shut it off it will not come back on unless I remove the batteries and reinsert them. Contacts are clean and appear to be making good contact. I have tried taking out the batteries and holding the on button to discharge any stored energy and that did not work. Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

There is a switch in the battery box that detects when the battery cover is closed perhaps that is a bit flakey. 

Thanks John, do you know if the switch is located in the cover or down inside the compartment?

Your welcome, the switch itself is on a PC board but the actuator is on the cover so when it closes it trips the switch.

Got it. Seems like the easiest thing to do is to replace the cover. 

Thanks for the help as I had tried everything with no luck. I know it's a cheap camera but it's small and fits the bill for many of my uses.

I know what you mean I have a couple old Canon cameras I keep around because of their size and one I have a waterproof Canon case for it's great for water shots underwater too.

Inspect the cover look for something obvious around the edges like a worn or chipped piece. I don't know exactlly where the switch is inside but carefull inspection should locate it along the top edge of the battery box.

Announcements