cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

My blink detection is off all the time, so it didn't help.

Just to share how I am using my camera now, I basically turn on my camera way ahead of the time that I need to use it to "warm it up".  Another thing is I use the "smile detection" function to take pictures with people in it, so I can always blame my friends of not smiling enough, instead of my camera malfunctioning....

I may be grabbing at straws but I am now wondering if it could possibly be weather related. When it first happened, it was a hot and humid day- the second time it happened-after Canon fixed it- I was in the Yucatan- and it was EXTREMELY humid and hot. It worked okay for about 2 to 3 days- then the day it quit working- it was okay for a while, then I was shooting in  a small village and after about the first five shots I suddenly noticed a weird grey-like --- for lack of a better word,  film over the images- like it was a grey day --but it was very sunny and the sky was very blue.  The camera was not capturing the color correctly-then it just died. Was anyone else shooting in  a similar climate when it happened?

Yeah, NO.  I thought it was better at first, but the blink detection did not remedy my shutter problems.  Shot with my S100 today in Auto, P, and Av modes (both jpg and RAW) and more often than not, it took 5-6 seconds for the shutter to trip.  Very frustrating.

I have been struggling with the shutter release problem with my S100 for the last 3 or 4 months.  It is almost 2 years old.  I bought it in the US but live in Canada.  When I called about this problem, I was told I had to fill in a repair request and they would give me an estimate and then I could send it to them.  Right away the cost is $160 which I must pay upfront before I get a ticket to send it in.  I believe it is a firmware problem but I can't re install it, according to them.  I have tried all the fixes suggested, but it sometimes works and more often doesn't and sometimes takes about 5 seconds to click.

I have a digital SLR as well and have always opted for Canons.  I also own an underwater housing.  At this point I won't get it fixed and won't buy another Canon camera if this is how the response is to something a number of people are experiencing.  There are other makers now that offer very competitive cameras and perhaps, better service.

patton
Apprentice

Have had the S100 the end of Sept 2012 and it worked fine until the end of October 2013 (the month after the warranty expired), then the shutter button problem started.  The problem is really bad now with 95% of the time the camera will not take a picture.  The red video button still works fine.

To get the free repair evaluation, does every camera owner need to first write a complaint to the BBB?  Does Canon intend to address this flaw?

First check online to see if your serial number is covered under their recall. They list the range of serial numbers for this problem with the S100 on their website. Just type the error code you are getting from the camera into your browser. That should bring it up right away. If your serial number is not included in the recall, call them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the problem and they MAY send you a mailing label to return it to their repair center.  They may or may not charge you- I can't speak for Canon, but my experience has been that they will look at it and call you first before they charge you- and they MAY not charge you.  It all depends on what they find when they examine the camera.  But you should contact them.

Have you seen this from Canon Australia, may be another issue I don't know.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Personal/Support-Help/Support-News/Service-Notices/PowerShot-S100-Serv...

Davy

@BA123 wrote:

First check online to see if your serial number is covered under their recall. They list the range of serial numbers for this problem with the S100 on their website. Just type the error code you are getting from the camera into your browser. That should bring it up right away. If your serial number is not included in the recall, call them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain the problem and they MAY send you a mailing label to return it to their repair center.  They may or may not charge you- I can't speak for Canon, but my experience has been that they will look at it and call you first before they charge you- and they MAY not charge you.  It all depends on what they find when they examine the camera.  But you should contact them.

Yeah you could contact Canon like I did, where I had the camera sent in for repairs a total of three times to fix the shutter.  My camera is now out of warrantee and the shutter issue was never fixed.

I just tried one more thing...a reset.  Hadnt done that before, it seems to have helped.  But, what surprises me as I reflect on thi,s is that the help person never suggested any  alternatives, only to send it in for repair.  That might indicate they know about the problem but don't want to fix it.  It would seem, if it is an unknown problem, they might have given me some ideas on the line to do something about it, like a reset.  I am guessing they know it will not work long term and yet don't want to fix it for free. 

Hi Sue,

does your reset trick still work? Or did the same probem return?
I tried the reset a few times before (both in Camara and Display mode) but to no avail.

Cheers

Announcements