cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

hivoltage
Apprentice

Here is another S100 with the faulty shutter button. Went bad about a year ago so I threw it on a shelf. Decided to try to fix it yesterday and found that i is a common problem. C'mon Canon, take care of your customers. I have been a Canon man for many years but this is not the way to take care of your customers. This is a pretty expensive camera to be sitting on  a shelf.

i have heard of a few customers getting Canon to help by complaining to the Better Business bureau. First call customer service. The rep will tell you that this problem is "not a known defect." Show the rep how many complaints are on  their board for this exact defect. Then ask where you can send a complaint. Write to the BBB, with a copy to Canon.

Gregs100
Contributor
Someone posted that the turning off of blink detection solved the problem. I did it and it's still fixed on day 3.

Danluckett
Enthusiast
Wouldn't that be something. Turn blink detection back on and see if the problem returns.

That is interesting. I want to report back about my "warming technique". My S100 has been working about half of the time without any warming. One day it would click all the time...with a slight press of the release. Another day, it would click for the first picture and then quit. In other words it has come back to life with a bad temper. To put it simply...sporadic! It works now at least sometimes verses not at all for a long long time before the 5 minute warm up. Like tonight, I took it out to get a picture of my wife cutting the birthday cake, it took a great picture and then immediately quit afterwards. Fortunately, a second take was not important because the first one looked great, ha, ha what a camera! I am almost tempted to get the Canon G9X for US$264.99 (refurbished) from the US Canon website with coupon code "FEBFLASH".

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-g9-x-silver?WT.mc_id=C126149

WonkyButton
Apprentice

My s100 has developed the same problem.

If I press the shutter button dead centre it will not fire however, if I press the button off centre and to the left of centre it fires.

Don't know how long that will work but for now presing off centre (left towards camera centre) it works on every press.

It will get worse, and the repair part (by all reports on this forum) is no longer available. Find a used camera going for cheap due to an unrelated problem, like a lens error, and cannibalize the shutter release assembly. See various posts plus Youtube videos for tips on doing the surgery.

Hi, I started the warming method but unless I live in the tropics, it is going to be a real hassel. I finally got hold of a S100 with lens error for $20 and ready to transplant the shutter release (hopefully a good one to replace mine). Does anyone know a good step by step stripping of the camera either on youtube or other sites? The ones I looked at are dark and very hard to follow. Thanks! I love my S100 even though I have half a dozen other cameras! 

PO
Contributor

Oh, I just found the link which has very clear pictures and steps on how to dismentle the S100. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+PowerShot+S100+Top+Panel+Replacement/40324

Three important things about this major surgery.

1. Devise a system for keeping track of the screws. There are a lot of them, and they are not all the same. Consider having a pill container -- the kind with a compartment for each day of the month -- and keeping a log of where each screw came from. I know that sounds like "over-kill" but there are so many screws of slightly different lengths and slightly different heads. consider correllating each screw with a log of your disassembly steps.

2. Be sure you have the right size tools. Tiny phillips head screw driver, fine needle-nose pliers, tweezers. There are some very fragile parts. I would not use pliers (or anything metal) on any of the flexible printed circuit ribbons.

3. The only inherently tricky step is reconnecting the main connector. It is delicate, but must be firmly seated. I might help to take a photo of it before separating it, to record depth. At least take a close look.

Good luck!

Announcements