Canon Community Canon Community

PO
Occasional Contributor

Re: shutter release not working S100

Ha, ha, may be you can even use a voice activated switch so that you don't have to use two fingers:-) I didn't know you cannot put web link here but this guy is called Martin Jones and his article is called Canon S100 Shutter Button Fix. See you can look it up. (martin-jones.com/2018/02/04/canon-s100-shutter-button-fix/)

Frequent Contributor

when you get the camera apart you will see what a challenge any soldering would be. I was an electronics technician many many years ago -- but these parts are so tiny and delicate -- you would need very specialized, highly temperature-controlled soldering iron.
Frequent Contributor

... or attach a tiny heating pad with its own switch. Just press the heating switch, wait a few seconds and take your picture as usual.
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry to report that it was a coincidence.  Blink detection has no affect.  My shutter will sometimes not work either way.  It's amazing to me that the camera will work fine for 3 days and then stop working.  Man Sad

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Don't worry, it will stop working altogether eventually. Have you tried the warming method? Shoot some video and then take a still.

New Contributor

My s100 has developed the same problem.

If I press the shutter button dead centre it will not fire however, if I press the button off centre and to the left of centre it fires.

Don't know how long that will work but for now presing off centre (left towards camera centre) it works on every press.

Frequent Contributor

It will get worse, and the repair part (by all reports on this forum) is no longer available. Find a used camera going for cheap due to an unrelated problem, like a lens error, and cannibalize the shutter release assembly. See various posts plus Youtube videos for tips on doing the surgery.