cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

several Powershot SX60HS questions

lly3988
Rising Star

I have just acquired a SX60 and I have the following observations :

1. EVF quality is really bad. I spent some time going through the manual and couldn't find a way to adjust the EVF.  There are a lot of noises. Colors are unreal. There is a lack of contrast. It is definitely worse than the EVF on my EM5. I now have to rely on the LCD which is pretty amazing. I tested the EVF indoor with abundant light. I will test outdoor when weather is better.

2. Some items in the camera menu are grey out. Specifically the digital Zoom and I cannot set up this function. I reset everything to default and nothing change. After removing the battery for some minutes and re-insert, it seems to work. It happens twice. What possibly is the problem ?

3. I assigned teleconverter function to the designated button (the one in front of the power button) and it won't respond sometimes and I have to go back to resetting everything.

I appreciate any response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is no firmware update for that camera on the Canon site, so I would get in contact with them before your warranty expires. Sounds like a connection wasn't made properly during assembly. You should have a list of the Canon customer service centers in your materials that came with the camera. Otherwise follow this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx60_hs#ServiceAnd...

Steve M.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

There is a diopter adjustment on the left side of your evf to focus the image better

You cannot use the tele convertor and the digital zoom at the same time that might be the source of your last 2 quesstions

I am aware of the diopter adjustment.

I also know that the teleconverter and the digital zoom cannot operate at the same time.

Thanks for your input.

smack53
Mentor

Regarding question 2 and the greyed out digital zoom, are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? On many Canon cameras that shoot RAW, the digital zoom function is automatically disabled, with no option to enable until you switch to JPEG.

Question 3 about the button assignment, what mode were you in when you set that button for teleconverter? I noticed that on my Canon cameras, if I change modes, the button can have different assignments for each mode. It may just be that you set it up in Av mode for example, and when you perhaps changed to Tv mode, the button did not function. If this is the case, you would need to set up the custom button in each mode that you use for the same function.

Steve M.

Hi, Steve,

You are absolutely right. I switch to Raw and T is disabled. It's back when I chose only Jpeg.

I assigned T to the button. When I chose to shoot in Raw + Jpeg, it won't respond because T is disabled automatically as you said.

Will try to customize and see how it goes.

Thanks.

lly3988
Rising Star

The view finder is definitely out of order. I went to Bestbuy and the one on display has very vivid colors and good contrast. I was advised to update firmware to see if it works. However, I couldn't find a link to download the firmware and I don't even know if firmware is possible for this camera.

Somebody please help.

There is no firmware update for that camera on the Canon site, so I would get in contact with them before your warranty expires. Sounds like a connection wasn't made properly during assembly. You should have a list of the Canon customer service centers in your materials that came with the camera. Otherwise follow this link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx60_hs#ServiceAnd...

Steve M.

Hi Steve,

I am amazed by your knowlege of camera. Guess what. I went to the Canon Service center to have them looking into the problem. It was diagnosed that the EVF is not functioning properly and the cause is probably a loose wire. The technician told exactly what you suggested : a connection wasn't made properly during assembly.

It will be repaired under warranty.

Thanks again

I'm glad to hear the repair will be covered. I've been using Canon cameras for over 10 years and on this forum for about a year, so I've kind of picked up a few things from time to time. Glad I could help you out!

Keep that camera clicking!

Steve M.

Just an update. The camera came back with the problem fixed. It's a loose wire problem. It's been resoldered and nothing else.

Announcements