cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my canon sx50 hs, the display and view finder are not working, no image

gabi
Contributor

my canon sx50 hs, the display and view finder are not working, no image.. all the info it's on the screen which is black and I can't see what I'm looking at, no picture, no image. I have owned this camera since Feb and I am very happy with it. Last night I was taking Moon shots and all of a sudden the display went black, I switched to view finder and the same thing. And I get no error message.. please help. Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21

Grazie
Rising Star

Could be you need to hit the"Display" button. Press this several times will get you rotating through the options and then back with the Display or VF.

Grazie

I tried that... It doesn't work.. I get a black screen on the display and same when I switch to view finder..with all the info on the screen, just not what I'm trying to take a picture of.. and if I do take a picture, it will be completly black.. Thank you for taking the time!!! I think I'll just have to send it to Canon or take it to a repair shop.. Have a good day!

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gabi,

Please ensure that you've taken the lens cap off (I've done this one, myself).

If that's not the issue, please contact us for service information.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Richard! that was the first thing I checked 🙂 I did call Canon Service Center and was told that it's probably the shutter not opening.. in any case, they were helpful and I did ship it to Virginia and now I am waiting. Thanks again!

Richard . . I'm real glad that YOU asked that question . . I didn't have the "strength" to do it Smiley Wink

Grazie

there's no need for this.. if you read my first posting, i said: " I was taking Moon shots and all of a sudden the display went black.." . So I already took a few pictures and then the display went black! It is probably because the shutter doesn't open anymore, for whatever reason. I am not a pro, just amateur, for my own enjoyment and been taking pictures all my life also my English is not perfect but I was hopping I can make myself understood. Thank you and I love the SX50 and hope that only I have this problem, that it is just a fluke and no one else has to go through this.

I got my camera back from Canon.. a new one in fact! and I am very happy with the service and how fast it was dealt with. Thank you Canon!

I have exactly the same problem, ie everything is black except for the settings; it doesn't matter if the display is in the viewfinder or on the screen and I did take the lidcover off (I have sometimes forgotten).  Does this mean that the shutter is not working?  Is it worth repairing?

Is it out of guarantee?

Have you tried Canon Support?

Repairs are not cheap but search around and you may find

a better deal than the big workshops. (One I contacted quoted

£179 flat rate.)

Can give you a place if you are in the UK.

Announcements