cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“memory card error”

momjoanne
Apprentice

Memory card error for SD 16 GB brand new camera took 159 pics. Checked the slot on memory card it is in correct spot. Memory card runs fine in our MAC .  What can I do. When I try to format on camera the " format " on the menu is greyed out and we cannot access  Any ideas ?  momjoanne 

17 REPLIES 17

Did you solved this problem??? I have the same issue with the same Model.

John_
Authority

I would try a new SD card 16GB cards are fairly inexpensive, a spare is good to have and by trying a new card it could narrow down the problem to either the old card or the camera.

Also if you have a windows pc try reformatting it in that and then try it in your camera

Peter
Authority
Authority

Try to low level format in your computer. Use Fat32.

Julie31
Apprentice

I realize this is really late, but I just had a very similar issue. Brand-new camera, brand-new memory card, but I would get a "Memory card error" message in the top part of the camera screen as soon as I turned on my camera. This meant that I also couldn't take any pictures. I realized it was because I had gotten the wrong kind of memory card. The package I received has 2 memory cards, one large adapter for laptops (which is also the size required for the camera), and a smaller memory card which actually stores the memory. My issue was that I was using the adapter in the camera, because it is the correct size, but it wasn't working because there wasn't actually any memory on it. I hope you were able to solve your problem!!

@Julie31 wrote:

I realize this is really late, but I just had a very similar issue. Brand-new camera, brand-new memory card, but I would get a "Memory card error" message in the top part of the camera screen as soon as I turned on my camera. This meant that I also couldn't take any pictures. I realized it was because I had gotten the wrong kind of memory card. The package I received has 2 memory cards, one large adapter for laptops (which is also the size required for the camera), and a smaller memory card which actually stores the memory. My issue was that I was using the adapter in the camera, because it is the correct size, but it wasn't working because there wasn't actually any memory on it. I hope you were able to solve your problem!!

It sounds like you have only one memory card, not two.  The smaller card must inserted into the adapter.  You should only use a full size SD card from a major manufacturer.  I use SanDisk Extreme 32 GB cards in my DSLRs.

The micro-SD cards are unreliable when used with an adapter.  Only use micro-SD cards in devices that use them directly, without any adapter.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have the same camera model. As a real estate appraiser, I use it a lot, hundreds of pictures every week a lot. I have been using it with a Sandisk micro SD card inserted into the SD adapter it came with. it has been fairly reliable, but I do get this "Memory Card Error" message on occasion while I'm at a property. Now that I've had it more than a couple a times, I plan to replace it with a full size SD card.

But! I have resolved the issue each time by removing the memory card and adapter from the camera, removing the Micro card from the adapter, reinserting it and removing it from the adapter a couple of times, then inserting and removing and reinserting the adapter and card into the camera a couple of times. It is likely a contact issue with the Micro card and adapter. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, but if you're in a pinch and need the camera and card to work right now, this might get you over that hurtle. This solution may also work with a full size SD card too, but repeated messages could mean a problem with the card or worse, card slot on the camera.

Just to concur with what some others have said using a micro SD card in an adapter can cause problems. I too have used those many many times and only have had 1 memory card error. Using a full sized card is best and reliable.

Fabio77
Apprentice
Hello is this post still active? I'm getting the same message on the Canon powershot 530 hs "memory card error" any solution yet? And what do you guys mean by using a full sized card? Like it has to be 32 pluss GB?
Announcements