cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“memory card error”

momjoanne
Apprentice

Memory card error for SD 16 GB brand new camera took 159 pics. Checked the slot on memory card it is in correct spot. Memory card runs fine in our MAC .  What can I do. When I try to format on camera the " format " on the menu is greyed out and we cannot access  Any ideas ?  momjoanne 

17 REPLIES 17

Jason
Whiz

Hi!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the camera model you are using.

Thanks!

my camera is the Canon Power Shot SX 530 HS.  I have now purchased a new m emory card and still am getting the " memory card error.  So it definately is the camera.  I have to say this is a little frustrating Brand new camera and first vaca since I received it and yah no pics because of this error !!! GREAT What do I do now??? 

I am having the same problem with the same Camara Model, @MomJoanne was there a solution? Could you solved this problem? Did you received an answer from Canon?

wow that really is a bummer! Yes 2 different cards same error means it's your camera.

There is a very very slim chance the lock switch is moving when you insert the card that can cause it too and you'd get a card locked error...I dont think I saw you mention a card locked error message

There's not much you can do becuase you'll have to send your camera back to either where you bought it or to Canon.

And now I see another person has the same problem

Do you have to format the card before you use it?  If so how do you do that on the camera.  The Owners manuel isn't very helpful with this & a few other things.

Yes go to yor settings menu the one with the hammer and wrench symbol then look down the list to Format. Select that and proceed to format the card. If you cannot select it because it is greyed out, unselectable, then I would strongly suggest sending that camera back for a return since yours is brand new.

wow that really is a bummer! Yes 2 different cards same error means it's your camera.

There is a very very slim chance the lock switch is moving when you insert the card that can cause it too and you'd get a card locked error...I dont think you mentioned seeing a card locked error message.

There's not much you can do becuase you'll have to send your camera back to either where you bought it or to Canon.

And now I see another person has the same problem

I just bought my Powershot sx530 hs on Black Fri.  I'm having the same error message with a brand new card.

momjoanne, 

I understand you are seeking support for your PowerShot SX530 HS.

For support on this product, please call 1-800-652-2666 and follow the prompts for Technical Support. Agents are available during the following times. All times EST, excluding holidays.

Cameras - PowerShot -- 1-800-652-2666 Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements