Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issues with SX60 hs and auto focus

malancr
Apprentice

hello to all

just wanted to know if anyone is aware of the following

like a month ago I've started noticing that my SX60 HS been having a hard time trying to auto focus. usually I had to press the shutter button half way and it willl focus the image with on problem. but now I have to do that several times until it focuses clearly the subject.

I've also noticed that the omvie mode also has issues with the focus.

I've already did a factory reset to the camera and still no luck, hoping that it was related to maybe a setting on it

any  ideas

regards

30 REPLIES 30

The wheel on the left side of viewfinder is an adjustment of  aperture value or known as f/stop. Turn  it to the left or to the right and try to focus an object  without manual zooming in.

If AF (auto focus)  point zoom in menu  is "on" , the servo mechanism AF is "off ", auto  focusing is Ok.

Also in menu continous auto focus must be " on" .

Safety shift on menu must be also " on "

Check digital zoom and AF point are "on" in menu.

If all these are not working, you return the product.

Hi newsense52, I have joined forum to thank you for the info re. focusing issue SX60, your information was very useful as I was thinking of ditching this new camera as it would not focus at all using small amount of zoom, when using in dull, overcast weather. Obviously living in the UK I would never get to use it due to that being order of the day for our weather. Just a small point if you forgive me, but I thought the small wheel to left of viewfinder was a dioptre adjustment, maybe I misunderstood you. Anyway, many many thanks for helping me, Don

The small wheel IMMEDIATELY to the right of the viewfinder is the diopter adjustment.

I disagree with the statement that the SX60HS is a "point and shoot camera": it is a bridge camera which is a compromise between the small sensor of a P&S and the controls of a DSLR with a super zoom. Perhaps the P&S comment was meant for the sensor alone? I don't  know...

I use a lot of DSLRs and I also have a SX60HS and find no problem in any mode that I have tried when conditions are appropriate. ( I do not use the camera on manual focus.)  The issue is that because it has a small sensor it performs best when there is a lot of light and contrast and less so in less favourable conditions.  As has been pointed out a grey day may not be its forte!

It may be that a different camera might be a better choice for your conditions and needs.  If weight is the issue then perhaps the EOS M5 or M50, of even (if you want to out of the Canon brand) a micro 4/3 unit.  Still none of them has the lens reach of the superzoom.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Many thanks..good information

Isn't that wheel immediately to the left of the viewfinder? At least on my SX60.

@KJW247 wrote:
Isn't that wheel immediately to the left of the viewfinder? At least on my SX60.

Agreed.  The small wheel to the left of the viewfinder is the diopter adjustment

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks!   I'm having trouble with the auto focus too, most shots somewhat blurry, but am a novice and didn't try adjusting that wheel yet.

One of the first things you should do with ANY camera is set the diopter adjustment so that what you see through the viewfinder is crisp and clear - there are limits to the diopeter adjustment but it should work for most people.

NEXT READ YOUR MANUAL, also there are various video tutorials to assist you available on the web.

Some things that will cause blurry photos:

1. failure to let the camera get a focus lock.  By default autofocus should be on, and when you lightly press the shutter button you should get a green or blue rectangle on the centre of the screen and that is where the camra is focusing.  If the rectangle is orange the camera cannot get enough contrast to focus so you would need to find something the right distance that will give you a line or shade contrast to get a focus lock.  If you want to focus on something and recompose the image so that the object is no longer in the centre, continue to hold down the shutter button LIGHTLY, then press it more firmly (don't jab) to take the shot

2. Holding the camera incorrectly:  With a super zoom like this giving the camera the most stability will be critical, more so as you extend the focal range of the lens as you will get camera shake.  You should be holding your left hand under the camera, with your thum and index fingers cradling the base of the lens on the left and right of the lens respectively.  The camera body should sit on the palm or ball of your hand.  The camera should be held to your eye with your arms tucked tight to your side.  Your right hand should be free to handle the controls without any need to use it to hold the camera - this means that you hand operate the controls lightly.

3. Slow shutter speed Your SX60 has image stabilization, so that it will try to keep the lens image still under reasonable conditions, but if your shutter speed is extremely low relative to the focal length of the lens you will be at risk of camera movement anyway.  The general rule of thumb without IS is to have a shutter speed at least as fast as the inverse of your focal length - i.e. if you are shooing at 200mm your shutter speed should be 1/200 sec.  That's a good place to start until your motor skills improve with experience.

4. Not having sufficient Depth of Field.   Technically what is in focus is in a very narrow plane (at right angles to the lens), but our eyes can accept a range of out of focus points before we register that something is blurry.  Such points are called circles of confusion and they define your DoF.   The smaller the aperture (which means the higher the f-value) the more things will be in focus.  So if you want lots of things to be in focus you need a high f-value.

There is a relationship between shutter speed, ISO (that is a measure of sensor sensitivity) and aperture - they are called the Holy Trinity of photography and if you want to control your camera you need to understand each of them and their interrelationships to control exposure, speed of movement of a subject or DoF.  There are many tutorials available on this and any decent camera book will give you an outline of them.

One of the wonderful things about photography is that it is a meld of technology and art, and to master image taking you need to engage with both.

cheers, TREVOR

Fantastic!  Much appreciated.

Excellent explanation! And great tips! Thanks much!

Announcements