cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting high res photos with Canon Powershot G9x

rhondsmi
Apprentice

I  amd an artist and have photographed my own work for some time (as well as using professionals). I need to shoot as times when it would be difficult to hire a professional. I need to have 300 dpi images(that is, they need to read as 300dpi on Photoshop), not 180 or 72. The question is not the dimensions an image would come out when printed.

I just purchsed the powershot G9X. I cannot use the wi-fi feature to connect to a Mac so already I am hesitant that I have purchased the right camera.

Can anyone help.

Rh

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

I don't know whether you have Photoshop or Elements but your camera can produce large enough files for good prints up to at least 16 X 20 inches. The information you see that has you concerned is not really what effects your file when sent to a printer.

INGR5329v1.jpg @ 16.7% (RGB8) 9102017 75032 PM.jpg

Preferences 9102017 74834 PM.jpg

Preferences 9102017 74852 PM.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you very much. I just want to be very clear. The issue for me and many others is not printing a photo. It is what

any gallerist or curator specifies for the measurements of the files they want sent to them...it is always 300dpi. So even thought the file might be compressed, it must start as a high resolution, 300dpi. Is this what my power shot  G9x can do even

if, when I bring the image from the camer into Photoshop, the image size reads 72dpi???

Again, thank you for your advice.

Your camera takes photos using PIXELS as the measure not Dots Per Inch. DPI only relates to printing. The term is for how many tine dots of ink a printer MIGHT put down on the paper. Just submit the files from your camera but set it to LARGE FINE jpg. Or better yet set it to RAW (makes CR2 files) & process them yourself making either high res jpg's or TIF files which are not compressed at all.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

From what I see your camera makes 20+ megapixel images. I own 3 pro level Canon DSLR's that do not create files that large & 1 Prosumer level camera that's about the same file size as your camera. You are well armed to get the job done equipment wise. The ability is now in learning how to get the most from your camera & post processing software.

@rhondsmi wrote:

Thank you very much. I just want to be very clear. The issue for me and many others is not printing a photo. It is what

any gallerist or curator specifies for the measurements of the files they want sent to them...it is always 300dpi. So even thought the file might be compressed, it must start as a high resolution, 300dpi. Is this what my power shot  G9x can do even

if, when I bring the image from the camer into Photoshop, the image size reads 72dpi???

Again, thank you for your advice.

There are conversion utilities available in most image editors for MS Windows, which can resave a file with a different "DPI" setting.  I am sure that there image editors for Macs that can do the same.

I understand why some groups specify a DPI setting for submitted images.  Some of today's hardware uses that setting for display, in addition to printing.  Display monitors are just another type of printer to the operating system.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In the 3:2 format it produces the same size files as a 7D2 & if those aren't big enough it must be a very demanding use you're submitting them to.

The larger the print the larger the pixels and the fewer pixels per inch, but a printer can print several dots to print a pixel in an image.  Are you sure they aren't using the term PPI (pixels per inch) rather than DPI (dots per inch)?

This website seems to have a good explaination of MP compared to DPI.

http://www.photopathway.com/resolution-megapixels-dpi-explained/

Thank you....the web article is very helpful.

Announcements