cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timelapse remote Capture on G9 - How to?

weatherman22
Apprentice

Hi,

Looking to buy a G9 or G10 to use as a high quality time lapse weather cam as my old Olympus software will not work on any OS after XP. I control 2 Olympus cameras and each takes images every 5 minutes to upload to an ftp website, using a constant file name.

It's proving quite difficult to know if the Canon supplied software (and upgrades for Win8) will do the trick.

From my extensive research I have come up with the following, possibly erroneous and conflicting information.

* ZoomBrowser EX can work with Canon Utilities RemoteCapture Task, both compatible with Win8 according to MS. (No sign of Remote Capture being downloadable from Canon, either as a task for Zoom Browser or a standalone product.)

*CameraWindow DC (available from Canon and compatible with Win8). Vague hints that it can control the camera, but no idea if it can take timelapse at for example 5 minute intervals. And the program will not work in test mode without a camera ... catch 22. Also no help file or guide is available.

*Digital Photo Professional 3.13.00. There was some message about needing EOS Utilities if one needed the Remote Capture facility - even though that doesn't support Powershots.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the above would do what I want with my camera?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

DPP is just an editing program used to convert RAW to jpg so it's out AND since you asked such an interesting question I hooked my G9 up to see if I could do this BUT I only have XP so this might not be 100% correct. I couldn't find any way to use the computer to take a photo with my G9 and I tried Zoombrowser & Camera Window. EOS Utility wouldn't even recognize it so you may need to research other options.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Cheers for trying to find out for me. There is a paid option which involves getting PSRemote from Breezesys and sourcing a Powershot, the alternative is to dedicate an old XP PC/laptop to PTC Camera Controller and my old Olympi and firewall everything else and hope that it doesn't catch anything when its immunisation wears off.

Funny how some things are actually becoming more difficult to do as technology advances...

Stuart

There's a program called CHDK, that works much like Magic Lantern, for the G9.  It allows time lapse.  I don't know anything about the program, so look into it before trying it.  But if it's anything like ML, you just put it on your memory card, it doesn't alter the firmware or anything.

cicopo
Elite

This may be worth reading. / watching

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1209034

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements