cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securely Packing a Camera in Checked Baggage

Merrilee
Apprentice

I have a Canon SX50 HS which I love.  Am doing a river cruise on the Danube in a few months.  Seems likely I will have to pack my camera in my checked baggage.  Using a smartphone camera is just not an option.  I have a small padded camera bag, but it does not fit tightly around the camera.  What is the best way to protect my camera and still be able to take it on this trip?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority

You could wrap it i a tee shirt then put it in the bag.

For a more aesthetically pleasing solution, look at camera wraps like those made by Domke.  It is a padded square with velcro on the corners.  You wrap the camera in it and close the velcro corners.  I have the big one and it easily wraps my full frame camera with the large 70-200mm xoom attached.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

ScottyP
Authority

Like this, only maybe not one this big:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16163-REG/Domke_722_19R_19x19_Color_Coded_Protective.html

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have a camera bag that you carry your SX50 in? If so, just put that bag in your luggage.

If not, as others have said , just wrap it and be sure it isn't touching any of the surfaces of your luggage. If you have hard sided luggage you are doubly protected.

But, why do you think you will have to check your camera? Doesn't it fit in, or your camera case qualify for, a personal carryon?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

You could wrap it i a tee shirt then put it in the bag.

For a more aesthetically pleasing solution, look at camera wraps like those made by Domke.  It is a padded square with velcro on the corners.  You wrap the camera in it and close the velcro corners.  I have the big one and it easily wraps my full frame camera with the large 70-200mm xoom attached.  

Scott

ScottyP
Authority

Like this, only maybe not one this big:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16163-REG/Domke_722_19R_19x19_Color_Coded_Protective.html

Scott

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have a camera bag that you carry your SX50 in? If so, just put that bag in your luggage.

If not, as others have said , just wrap it and be sure it isn't touching any of the surfaces of your luggage. If you have hard sided luggage you are doubly protected.

But, why do you think you will have to check your camera? Doesn't it fit in, or your camera case qualify for, a personal carryon?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your response. 

The reason I think I may have to pack my camera in my checked baggage is because in March Homeland Security announced that no electronics larger than a cell phone could be carried onto an aircraft for all inbound flights to U.S from 10 cities.  In recent weeks they have continually talked about extending this ban to inbound flights to the U.S. from Europe.  Additionally there is now talk about not allow electronics larger than a cell phone on inbound and outbound U.S. flights.  I am just trying to be prepared in case this electronics ban is extended to more flights.  I love my camera and don't want it to get damaged.

Announcements