cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX710HS zooming instability

newsense52
Rising Star

My camcorder vixia HFR600, handheld with 30x zoom to the furthest distance is zoomed with good image stability-no problem to shoot still photo. My camera SX710HS, handheld with 30x zoom to the furthest distance is zoomed with really bad image stability - can not shoot still image due to unstable frame.

I want answer based on the technical aspect of the camera and not based on experience how to handle the camera.

According to comsumer magazine SX710HS is the best zoom of its class ( June 2015 ) but I disagree the image stability in zooming far distant like opposite the football field, why it was chosen as the best.

I know hand shake create multiple effect, but why camcorder used in same manner has good image than this camera. I want to know settings to create a good stability.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You did not state what IS mode you used in the SX710 HS. 

Maybe the camcorder does have a better IS system.  Buy a tripod, or a monopod, for use with the camera at long zoom settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

IS mode: continues for still photo

IS mode: dynamic - standard- Is for movie shot

Disregard tripod, I have it, not all the time you have to bring tripod.

This camera do not have eye viewfinder.

@newsense52 wrote:

IS mode: continues for still photo

IS mode: dynamic - standard- Is for movie shot

Disregard tripod, I have it, not all the time you have to bring tripod.

This camera do not have eye viewfinder.

If the entire photo is out of blurred, the most likely cause is camera shake. Post samples of your issue, both good and bad.

Shutter speeds can make a world of difference, too.  You should post the exposure settings with the any sample photos, too.

It is not the quality of photo is the subject, it is the vertical shake when panning horizontally.

Trial on IS is set to - shoot only, continuous , off, give all the same effects in zooming far distance object.

Shutter speed automatically displayed as 1/56 in sample shot.

What other settings to consider so that it will not create a " vertical shake"  when zooming ?

@newsense52 wrote:

It is not the quality of photo is the subject, it is the vertical shake when panning horizontally.

Trial on IS is set to - shoot only, continuous , off, give all the same effects in zooming far distance object.

Shutter speed automatically displayed as 1/56 in sample shot.

What other settings to consider so that it will not create a " vertical shake"  when zooming ?

Post a sample picture.  I have speculated enough.  Exposure settings would be aperture, ISO, and shutter speed.  BTW, a shutter speed of 1/56 is very peculiar.  It is also as slow as a snail.  Almost any camera movement at the speed will result in blur.

You do not get the problem I posted.

Stop for now.

Newsense52,

Looks like the two cameras use different focusing systems. Still cameras such as your SX710HS use contrast detect, and the further out the camera is zoomed, the less contrast there is to allow a sharp focus. Video cameras use more of the phase detect to focus if I'm not mistaken. There is also a big difference in sensor size between the two cameras, with the video camera using a much smaller, low pixel resolution that allows each pixel to be larger than the ones on the SX710HS sensor. Larger pixels have more light on them, but generally have lower resolution, but since there is more light, the camera can focus further out better than small sensor cameras with longer zooms. The lens also has a big impact on the final result. At full zoom the SX710HS is at F6.9, which is pretty slow, so there will be a lot of camera shake that the HS system can't compensate for. (Too many stops of light to try and make up for). My guess is the video camera also has a faster lens as well, so that would allow better sharpness at the long end of the zoom for still shots.

Steve M.

Thanks for the answer, Yes I believed there is a lot of camera shake to compensate for ( SX710HS ) at end of full zooming.

With or without help of image stability, the shake is there and can not find ways to lessen the shake of camera, Is there a way to remedy this shaking at full zooming?

However at the end of full zooming the camera vertical shaking stops, but no focus and blurred image, this is when i can not shoot still image, only happens in far distant zooming- about two blocks away- but for nearer object - no problem.

There are a lot of variables that need to be considered about reducing camera shake. You will need to shoot the distant objects in as bright a light as possible, and on as clear and low humidity day as possible. The shutter speed will need to be quite fast, for example 1/1000 sec., with an ISO of about 800. But if the available light is not that bright, you might not be able to compensate for distant objects without a lot of grain in the shot from the higher ISO, which can look out of focus or blurry. If you set the camera to manual focus at infinity, the camera should fire faster, but that might not be available in video mode. You may be overextending the capability of the camera due to the slow lens/small sensor. As for the near objects being in focus, don't forget that the focus beam has less air to travel through to get a focus lock. If the air is humid, that means its more dense, and the focus lock will be harder to obtain for the camera.

Steve M.

Announcements