cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50 HS question

murryg
Contributor

Is it possible to copy JPG files from a Windows 32bit PC running XP onto an SD card that was formatted in the camera and then see those JPG photos when the SD card is inserted back into the camera?  When I try it and press the view button I get the message "no image"  If it is possible can you explain how or worst case tell it is not possible.

Thanks for your help,

Murry

6 REPLIES 6

murryg
Contributor

With the help of a friend we got this to work in case you would like a SX50 HS Users Guide on the camera for out in the field?

1.  We took the Canon SX50 HS Users Guide PDF file and Converted it to JPGs (lots of choices but I used OmniFormat)
2.  I took a photo with the SX50 HS set on AUTO and it cretaed a JPG in the folder format 101_12 and image format IMG_0495.JPG
3.  I removed the SD card and placed it in my computer's card reader and it showed up as F:\DCIM\101_12 and image IMG_0495.JPG
4.  I renamed the JPGs I created from the PDF file as IMG_0496.JPG, IMG_497.JPG,etc.,etc. using Fastone Image Viewer in one rename pass
5.  Under "My Computer" I selected all the renamed JPGs I just completed and copied them to the SD card at F:\DCIM\101_12
6.  I put the SD card back in the SX50 HS camera, turned it on and pressed the View button and it was looking at the last page of the Users Guide.  One scroll to the right on the CD wheel and I was looking at the photo.
7.  I erased the photo and I was then looking at the first page of the Users Guide and could scroll all through the guide and magnify the pages with the zoom lever.
8.  I removed the SD card and moved the protect lever so I would not accidentally format the SD card and labeled it SX50 Guide.
9.  So now I have the Users Guide on a SD card for use out in the field -- way cool!!
*   The sequence numbers above will likely be different for other users depending on the folder and photo their card is on but the principles are the same.
Murry

I have an SX260. I want to re-load PhotoShopped jpg images back onto my SDHC card and view them in my camera - and, using a mini HDMI to HDMI cable, show them on my TV. Your thoughts?

I have a Panasonic HD flat screen TV with an SD card reader built into the side of the set and it could read SD cards directly out of my camera but not if the images had been processed on my computer.  I just tried using my instructions above for processed photos and it reads them fine just like the JPGs of the SX50 users guide.  So thanks for asking your question, it appears that as long as I have one unprocessed photo on an SD card and can reload other processed JPG files from my computer on to that SD card and they will all play on the TV.  I can't help in regards to the HDMI cable--sorry.

Hello Tomkelly!

The PowerShot SX260 HS may not be able to read images that have been altered within photo editing software.  This is because the camera can only read images that it produces or, in some instances, images from another comparable Canon model.  Once you change the file name, make alterations to image quality and make edits, the camera may not be able to interpret them. 

If you wish to try it, and again I do not believe this will work, simply use a USB card reader to read/ write directly from the card.  You would not be able to use Canon software to resubmit altered images back to the camera. 

If you need to get in touch with Canon technical support directly, please contact us through out Service and Support site.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim and Tomkelly,

Tim have you actually tried it?  If you follow my instructions above it certainly works with the SX50HS and I don't see why it wouldn't work with the SX260.  Tomkelly give it a try and you'll see that it can be done.

Murry

I'm confused by Canon's forum setup.  I sent a "problem solved" message to the thread that I originally created on this topic, but it doesn't appear in this thread, which has a different subject line. That "problem solved" message included some additional information that I'll repeat here for those who didn't see it.

Anyway, I got great results when using my SX260HS to play back PhotoShopped images on my Sony TV, using a mini-HDMI to standard HDMI cable.

Here are the steps:

1. Download all the images from the DCIM folder on the SD card to the computer. I used the Canon software and left one image in the DCIM folder as a placeholder. (This may not be necessary, but it can't hurt.)

2. Check the unaltered images in Photoshop and Bridge. Delete the downloaded images from the DCMI folder. (I'm not sure this is essential, but I did it anyway because I planned to change some of the file names and didn't want duplicates.)

3. Photoshop the images. IMPORTANT: RESIZE VERTICAL IMAGES to a maximum of 3000 pixels in height. (That's the standard horizontal image height in Large superfine mode.)  If you don't resize 3000+ tall images, you'll get a thumbnail and an error message on the TV, and a question mark on the LCD screen.

4. Tim's right; the Canon software can't load images back onto the SD card. Use a card reader and be sure to reload the images back into the same DCIM folder they came from. (It might be possible to create a new folder for reloaded images, but I'd be sure to stick with Canon filename protocols. 

5. At this point, re-sequence the images in the order you want to show them. (See below for more on that.)

6. I was also able to play back MOV video files on the TV. The sound is surprisingly good!

A couple of tips:

-- If you have a large TV screen, every glitch will show, including artifacts from sharpening, shadows/highlights and other changes. The more you change the image, the more likely it is to be harsh and noisy. Subtle changes work best.

-- I used Bridge to sort my files. You can double-check that crucial vertical dimension using Windows Explorer in Details mode. Using the top menu, set a "Dimensions" column. The second dimension is image height.

-- The PhotoShopped images can ONLY be viewed in full screen mode. If you "zoom out" to see more images you'll see question marks instead of thumbnails. So... plan to watch images in the order you've put them on the card. 

-- I did not change the filenames of my images, so I'm not sure that will work.

Best of luck!

Announcements