cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX40HS Erratic Zooming

Hoover
Apprentice

The zoom just wants to do it own thing, I'll put it where I want it and a 1/2 later it's zooming way back out. I'll turn it on and it will zoom way out. Other times it back and forth on it's own. The problem started as a rare glitch not long after I bought it but now it either needs to be fixed of junked. Does anybody know what's going on with this? I'm going to try the reset proceedure by holding the power button with the battery removed. I'll try some manual modes to at least get me through this vacation.

I'm looking through the manual and now think it's possible I'm bumping the zoom framing assist button. The next time it happens I'll try hitting the button and see if it cancels out and gives me control again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Richard, turns out it was me. After about a 100 shots it started acting up again and sure enough, the joint of my thumb was hitting the frame assist button right as I was trying to control the zoom. I bet this happens to a lot of people since my wife has also complained about it for years.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Hoover,

Thank you for posting.

From your description, the "hard reset" of your camera (removing the battery pack, closing the battery compartment door, then holding the power button down for 5 seconds or so, then releasing it) may resolve this issue for you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Richard, turns out it was me. After about a 100 shots it started acting up again and sure enough, the joint of my thumb was hitting the frame assist button right as I was trying to control the zoom. I bet this happens to a lot of people since my wife has also complained about it for years.

Announcements