cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

For what it's worth, SX280 owners already have a utility and instructions for updating firmware  (see screenshot below). It is within CameraWindow, part of the software that came with the camera. If the "documented successful repairs" are merely  firmware updates as was related to a fairly prominent camera reviewer, why would anyone have to send their camera in to be repaired?

Firmware_Utility.jpg

Videophan: Yes, I noted the same thing. If it's a firmware fix, this would be the obvious way to install. I also show v. 1.0.0.

I would guess that Canon is [rightfully] willing to repair/update a camera before a firmware update is available for download. I don't know anything about the process of firmware updates, but there may be a more challenging step between having an update and configuring it for public, remote access(?)

@pawl wrote:

I would guess that Canon is [rightfully] willing to repair/update a camera before a firmware update is available for download. I don't know anything about the process of firmware updates, but there may be a more challenging step between having an update and configuring it for public, remote access(?)

And that is all that it is, a guess. Somehow I think this thread is helping Canon Customer Service "explain" the battery level indicator issue  rather than what should be happening. Maybe the next time someone calls CS, instead of saying "Canon will provide clear instructions for updating your firmware 'through a memory card'. ", they will instead invoke the utiity in CameraView. Believe me, with no AC adapter, I would prefer to have the firmware update accesed on a computer hard drive and installed through a USB connection than on a memory card in the camera where all depends on the camera battery for power. It could possibly be that there is some concern since the issue being fixed is battery related and the update process could be interrupted rendering the camera useless. I am sure if you sent in the camera for repair, there are probably some AC power adapters laying around for firmware updates. Now I will really be spooked if someone calls CS and this is the new story. But all of this is merely conjecture/guessing which is all we really have.

It seems really clear that you've made up your mind to jump ship on this camera, videophan. I'm curious why you trouble yourself further with the machinations of this thread? You've already decided to return the camera within the window, right? So move on to another camera and chalk it up to an unfortunate waste of your time.

BTW, I was replying to your own curiosity about why Canon might have built into the CameraWindow software an ability to update firmware and yet are currently asking folks to send the cameras in for repair. Your guess (were you to offer something other than doubt) would be "as good as mine," as they say. Your own recent experience with Canon's tech support was frustrating, we get that—others have had a different experience. Why keep laboring it, since you've made up your mind you don't like the camera and you don't like Canon?

I've decided to keep my SX280. I can't find a comparable make/model that does a better job with image quality in the same price range. Other alternatives I've looked at have their own issues according to the reviews but I'm curous to what other people are replacing their SX280 with if they've jumped ship.

@UberAugie wrote:

I've decided to keep my SX280. I can't find a comparable make/model that does a better job with image quality in the same price range. Other alternatives I've looked at have their own issues according to the reviews but I'm curous to what other people are replacing their SX280 with if they've jumped ship.

If price wasn't such an issue, this would be my choice: Panasonic Lumix dmc-zs30. It is new and there are not a lot of reviews out (just as with the SX280), but what is out is very positive. One reviewer does point out that the image quality is not quite as good as the SX280, but you would be hard put to tell the difference even at full size. It is still pocket size and has lots of nice feature that the SX280 does not have. You can look at the features yourself, but one that you may miss is that it does slo-mo video in HD. That is of some interest to me and the SX280 only does slo-mo in VGA mode and the quality is not good. It came out at $399 and the reputable online vendors are not budging on that price yet. The problem is no one has it in stock.  Shop.panasonic says it will ship in 7-10 days but that has been there for many days now. If you want to get a feel for the camera, do a search on Youtube...lots of information by some pretty knowledgeable people.

Maybe it is worth $399. With the price drop in the SX280, there is a wide price gap but the gap is filled with lots of nice features. My problem is at that price, I would like to pay a little more and get an electronic viewfinder. There are supposedly some nice choices coming down the pipeline but will not be here until mid-sumer.

@videophan wrote:

If price wasn't such an issue, this would be my choice: Panasonic Lumix dmc-zs30. It is new and there are not a lot of reviews out (just as with the SX280), but what is out is very positive. One reviewer does point out that the image quality is not quite as good as the SX280, but you would be hard put to tell the difference even at full size. It is still pocket size and has lots of nice feature that the SX280 does not have. You can look at the features yourself, but one that you may miss is that it does slo-mo video in HD. That is of some interest to me and the SX280 only does slo-mo in VGA mode and the quality is not good. It came out at $399 and the reputable online vendors are not budging on that price yet. The problem is no one has it in stock.  Shop.panasonic says it will ship in 7-10 days but that has been there for many days now. If you want to get a feel for the camera, do a search on Youtube...lots of information by some pretty knowledgeable people.

Maybe it is worth $399. With the price drop in the SX280, there is a wide price gap but the gap is filled with lots of nice features. My problem is at that price, I would like to pay a little more and get an electronic viewfinder. There are supposedly some nice choices coming down the pipeline but will not be here until mid-sumer.

I don't know, $399 isn't bad if you rationalized it by expecting to own the camera for a while. I do like some of the extra features of the Panasonic. The touch screen interface and the placement of the flash are especially helpful IMO. There aren't many reviews on Amazon b/c they're not selling it direclty for some reason and the cost is considerably higher. Based on some comments though, Panasonic dropped the priced down to $349 but then raised it back to $399.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a deeper look into the ZS-30.

When this issue with the SX280 first came up with me, Amazon had the ZS30 instock at $399 (sold and shipped by Amazon), but it sold out quickly. The price point seems to stuck be at $399 with none in stock.

If you do search for info on Youtube, be sure to look at some of the available videos done by Graham Houghton on the TZ40 (the European equivalent of the ZS30).  I do think he is somewhat biased toward Panasonic cameras but the sample stills and videos still provide useful information.

@UberAugie wrote:

@videophan wrote:

I don't know, $399 isn't bad if you rationalized it by expecting to own the camera for a while. I do like some of the extra features of the Panasonic. The touch screen interface and the placement of the flash are especially helpful IMO. There aren't many reviews on Amazon b/c they're not selling it direclty for some reason and the cost is considerably higher. Based on some comments though, Panasonic dropped the priced down to $349 but then raised it back to $399.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a deeper look into the ZS-30.

Any words on the Sony hx50v.
Announcements