cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Perhaps but no Canon engineers to see that?!! 

Voltage Indicated at the Camera

BatterysVoltage 

can you check maybe is just my unit??

A freshly charged Li cell will have about 4.2 to 4.25 volts. Nominal cell voltage is 3.7. Even with a freshly charged battery, 4.25 volts checked with a Fluke multimeter, my camera still exhibits the annoying red battery light and other maladies associated with it. Maybe Canon wrote that on the camera as a "never to exceed" voltage. Don't know, don't care. The camera is a lemon and Canon doesn't seem to care either. Like I've said before when my Canon stuff wears out there will be a different brand in my house.

I confirm that values on my camera and battery.

Sent it back,  got  a NIKON S9500 instead for $218 (more expensive)  no free  16GB memory, no free bag.  Was testing it outdoors yesterday on AUTO mode  (since it does nto have manual) , did excellent in zooming ( 22X) and the 18 P   comparing to 12 P  of CANON helped when cropping.  I liked the pictures much better  (and I mean MUCH BETTER) than CANON's , but on video the CANON was better (if you were able to take it that is 🙂   )

The voltage find makes a lot of sense...

We're only talking 0.6 Volts.... but one never knows. How about  measuring the voltage of a fully charged battery.

My guess this is the charging voltage.

Dave

Check out post 869. I measured the fully charged voltage.

Maybe some of the experts know, when does the charger stops charging the battery?

Because I fully charged the battery until the green light turned on, then unpluged the charger, took the battery off the charger put it on it again, plugged it again and then the charging light (orange) turned on.

Thank you for enlightening me !

This link Australian NB-6L battery charging

says the NB-6L has a recharge time of 4 hours when used with CB-2LYE Battery Charger but mine is ready in just 1 hour!!

Charged time depends on varying factors, battery condition, temperature as well as charging voltage and charging current.

Some chargers are 'fast chargers' they charge the battery at a higher current... to charge a battery in a hour sounds to me like a fast charger.

For a rule normally you charged a battery for 8 hours at 1/10th of it's capacity, so a 2.2A /per hour cell (2200 mA/hr)  would be charged at 0.22 A/hr or 220 mA/hour, this rule is for NiCads not Li-on.

These are small batteries, could it be asked if they suffer when they start to heat up due to fast charging

Sorry ruko I didn't see that post on your battery test.

Have you got a spare one????? Charge it up and discharged it at it's rated capacity, using resistors light bulbs whatever to draw the required current!

Maybe they want us to be forever buying Canon batteries just like them using chipped ink tanks and smaller cartridges, afterall thats's where the true money is.

I use a Li-on 3.7V camera battery to force power supplies and CCFL inverters ON  in LCD TV sets to check them, the  voltage is just about right for the 'Power ON signal'.

Announcements