cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

(facepalm)

Go to your favorite search engine, type in "sx280 battery" and you'll see hundreds of the kind of 'specialized' reviews that really count - from customers who've plunked down their own hard-earned cash on this camera and experienced the same flaw. Ask the guy on page 85 who ignored the ample customer complaints about this camera, bought it anyway and took it on his honeymoon - only to see it shut off when he needed it most. Buyer beware.

So if we all were to believe Canon is not trying to fix this problem what would all we doing at Canon's website?

If we were to believe Canon took advantage of us and doesn't care how is it that is already a new thread asking for a new model from Canon replacing the SX280? Wouldn't it be more reasonable all of us would be far away from Canon and from this site? I firmly believe Canon is not going to dissapoint us, it has a name to take care of.

You might want to check out the camera and get back to us.

SPOILER ALERT: Scroll back through 89 pages of customer complaints and you'll see Canon's official declarations that the problem has been solved and that we should all go on our merry way.

So what are you doing in the forum?

As someone who's shoveled thousands of dollars to Canon - and convinced my friends to give up much more - in the mistaken belief the company brand stood for something like value and integrity, I'm now doing my absolute best to warn other potential suckers away from this flawed camera. I bought one, and did my best to alert Canon customer service to the flaw. In return for my efforts, I was ignored and treated like my customer loyalty was worth zippy squat. I - and others - were told for weeks that there was no problem. Canon finally admitted to a problem, but never made a good faith effort to deal with it or the customers stuck with the sx280, I decided to launch a one-man jihad to alert other customers to the problems with this camera and Canon's disdain for customers. Turns out I'm hardly alone. Mark my words, pal, your faith in Canon will never be rewarded. Like I said, get back to us after you've had your fill.

Yes Canon only want to sell their 280 fiasco...  They only want the money of the costumers... Canon sucks.. 

Sorry to learn about your feelings, I also bought the SX280, and if they don't fix the problem sure it will be my last Canon, and as you said I would be warning all my friends. Hope Canon resolves the issue and shows us the integrity of the Company that seems to be mishandled by some manager right now...

@bradmoss wrote:

Sorry to learn about your feelings, I also bought the SX280, and if they don't fix the problem sure it will be my last Canon, and as you said I would be warning all my friends. Hope Canon resolves the issue and shows us the integrity of the Company that seems to be mishandled by some manager right now...

There's an old saying that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

In this case, it's that you can point out 89 pages of user complaints to bradmoss but you can't make him read.

Did you notice the voltage indicated below the SX280 (where the serial number is)??

It says 4.3V but the NB-6L battery's nominal is 3.7V !!

Could it be the problem??

Mykolas
Authority

Hi factoryguy!

We are glad to see you posted about this.  We would love help to speak with you directly over the phone about this.  Any of our technicians will be more than happy to help.  Please refer to the following link for contacting us by phone:

http://bit.ly/ContactCanon

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements