cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I don't get how you guys are not getting the flashing battery light after the update. I just tested mine again and as soon as I zoomed the camera turned off. Turned it back on and battery was full again.... Maybe some how the update didn't work right. I will try again later.. All I know is it said I was updated to 1.0.2.0 as the directions said when I finished....

Same here... I actually got 7 mins of video though, but it went from full to red then off with no warning. Off and on and battery full. Video, it went off.

Just useless, even with the firmware update. It's going back in the morning, and I will never buy another canon product. Its just wrong.

Hmm, Canon, can you mess it up even more, please? 😜

@scupking wrote:

I don't get how you guys are not getting the flashing battery light after the update. I just tested mine again and as soon as I zoomed the camera turned off. Turned it back on and battery was full again.... Maybe some how the update didn't work right. I will try again later.. All I know is it said I was updated to 1.0.2.0 as the directions said when I finished....

Are you using a full battery? Was it full before the firmware update and then you started  testing afterwards with the same battery in place? I think once the battery drains some, you are going to see what you are seeing. The firmware has just moved that point nearer the actual critical battery drain point.

I won't be able to update my camera and see for myself, until I get home tonight. Iut if only a partial fix, it's a perfect example of the ancient proverb:

Close, but no cigars.

Started with a freshly charged Wasabi battery. Formated the card and ran the update. Shot a couple of quick videos about a minute each with zooming in and out. Shooting on the movie selection. Moved to auto shot a couple of pix.

Started a standard movie in auto. Randon zooming in and out. After 10 minutes, Started flashing. Turned off at 11 minutes. Turned off and turned on - 3 bars. Started another video 4 seconds, flashing. Started another video which ran 6 minutes flashing the whole time until it stopped (but did not shut down) because the card was full.

Cleared 4 gb off the card. Turned it on, took 1 picture, showed 3 bars. Started another video. started flashing after 5 seconds. More randon zoom. Got another 3 minutes before it shut down with a charge battery message.

Turned it back on. 3 bars. shot 2 pictures with zooming. 2 bars. Started another video got about 10 sec with zoom and shut down again. Turn on 3 bars. shot 2 pix 2 bars. Shot about 20 pix with zoom and it remained at 2 bars

Camera does get quite warm after 10 min of video.

Still, quite an improvement.

Mike

Testing on a fresh charge..... No difference, flashing red after five minutes of video......Turned the camera off then back on and battery shows full bars..... I'm getting sick of this and its just over 30 days that I had the camera...

@mikearm wrote:

Started with a freshly charged Wasabi battery. Formated the card and ran the update. Shot a couple of quick videos about a minute each with zooming in and out. Shooting on the movie selection. Moved to auto shot a couple of pix.

Started a standard movie in auto. Randon zooming in and out. After 10 minutes, Started flashing. Turned off at 11 minutes. Turned off and turned on - 3 bars. Started another video 4 seconds, flashing. Started another video which ran 6 minutes flashing the whole time until it stopped (but did not shut down) because the card was full.

Cleared 4 gb off the card. Turned it on, took 1 picture, showed 3 bars. Started another video. started flashing after 5 seconds. More randon zoom. Got another 3 minutes before it shut down with a charge battery message.

Turned it back on. 3 bars. shot 2 pictures with zooming. 2 bars. Started another video got about 10 sec with zoom and shut down again. Turn on 3 bars. shot 2 pix 2 bars. Shot about 20 pix with zoom and it remained at 2 bars

Camera does get quite warm after 10 min of video.

Still, quite an improvement.

Mike

Gives "quite an improvement" new meaning, I'd say.

Like the old saying, "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick"

I wrote earlier that I had applied the new firmware, and that everything was fine.  Well, I shot a little more video awhile ago, and the red flashing light immediately came on.  I turned the camera off, and then to "still" pictures, and the camera showed a full battery.  Anyway, to make a long story short, I just got back from Best Buy in Reno.  I returned the camera for a full refund.  I only had 15 days from date of purchase to return it.  I really liked the camera, and may just wait to purchase it agaiin when I hear that all problems have been resolved. 

I am sorry I was impestuous and posted that the camera issues were resolved without giving it a thouough test. 

Larry

Announcements