cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Thanks for letting me know about the advisory!  I called in tonight and they say they are sending me a shipping label.  Interestingly, they claim I have to take the camera to a UPS Store to let them package it, because of the Lithium-ion batteries.  Anyway, it will be worth the effort, especially if I get a refurb back, but even if they just fix the darn camera, it will be a great day.

UPDATE: Canon received my camera, and instead of fixing it like they said they would in the advisory, they sent me an ESTIMATE TO REPAIR and they want me to pay them $93.90 to repair it!!!  I called but they are closed, so I emailed. I was surprised to get a quick reply... they said the estimate was generated because "there is no serial number associated with your camera".  Makes no sense, because the serial number is clearly indicated on the bottom of the camera (I took a picture of it, before sending the camera in), and I told them this.  Waiting for a reply.

UPDATE 2: I called in today and after a lengthy hold I was told that "after speaking to my supervisor, we are going to do this as a one-off courtesy, and provide the repair at no cost".  I started to ask about WHY this is being done as a "one-off courtesy" and not just simply no-charge, per the Advisory, but then I told them 'never mind... I will accept this solution, thank you!" -- I did not want to mess this up.  I received an email shortly afterwards, confirming the no-cost repair/replacement being done.

- Scott

The advisory said "free of charge" and Friday I got a invoice for $98 to replace the camera I sent as it cannot be fixed.  I have sent them an email rebuking the request for $98 based on their offer to fix it for free or replace it.

Am waiting for a reply.

Hello pe4710man,

If you have questions about your repair, you'll want to contact our Service Information Group at 1-866-510-1335 and reference your repair number. They will be able to advise you on the next steps to get this resolved!

The real question is why are they even trying to get $$ when this is an inherent problem with the SX280 and they offered free repair or replacement and not want $$.

Why should we even have this problem, Canon should just repair ore replace the camera and not ask us for $$ and then you say we have to call them and argue about it.

They are aware of the problem, they are resolving the camera problem with repair or replacement.

A communication problem at Canon. I also recieved a bill for repair. I called customer service, they were very courtious and said they sent info to the repair center. I noted a "Canon buliton" and I then recieved a no cost repair or replacement. I got , at no cost, another model of the Canon camera. I am pleased with the camera. If you send in your camera note that there is a Canon notice of replacement or repair. Although it took a long time I am pleased with the camera replacment.

Don't get upset, they are resolving the issue with repair or replacement. It's a communication problem at Canon.

Yeah, feel free to get upset. This problem has been denied for a year by Canon, and then they finally fess up and pretend they're going to set things straight - and then send you a bill. LOL. What suckers they must think we are!! Good going yet again, Canon!!

@GON22 wrote:

Don't get upset, they are resolving the issue with repair or replacement. It's a communication problem at Canon.

Per my previous post, my camera had a serial number that was part of the Service Advisory, which said they would repair or replace at no cost.  I sent the camera in, and was promptly notified that the "estimate to repair" was $93.  I called Canon Tech Support to discuss the situation and they agreed to repair or replace at no cost.  Tonight I received an update on my repair case, and it says they will be sending me a different camera, the SX710 (doesn't say if it is new or refurb). That looks like a nice camera... going from 20x optical to 30x optical. I just hope it doesn't have the same power problems!!   If this fixes the original issue, then big kudos to Canon!

- Scott

The comparison web site snapsort shows the sx280 and sx710 are roughly comparable - more zoom and marginally better aperture (f/3.2 vs. f/3.5) and battery life (230 vs 210 shots), but you lose GPS, high-speed movies, and light sensitivity drops from 6,400 to 3,200 ISO (2 full stops).

And with all due respect, ZERO kudos to Canon on the way it has handled this debacle. They refused for a full year to admit there was a problem, and they're downplaying it to this day - to the point that customers have to find out by word of mouth that there's a service advisory, and it has to be pointed out to Canon employees for them to honor company policy.

Announcements