Did you mean: 

SX280 HS camera Battery Drain Issues

fbaccari
Apprentice

Is there a fix for the battery drain on the SX280 HS camera

18 REPLIES 18

Limmie
Enthusiast

You need more detail in your question.  As far as I can tell there never was a true battery issue.

The "battery issue" initially was one of the camera shutting down shortly after taking video.  This was remedied to Canon's satisfaction (and I stipulate Canon's) over half a year ago by a firmware release.  It wasn't really a battery issue but one of the programming of the camera that determines the battery level and how the camera responds.

The ongoing issue is that the firmware upgrade for many of us still didn't resolve things to a workable extent.  Although the camera no longer shuts down prematurely, the meter still flashes low battery until you completely powercycle the camera whereupon it says the battery is full.  You have no way to reliably estimate remaining battery life which makes the camera a bit too much of a uncertainty unless you have extra batteries and don't mind if it does actually run out in the middle of shooting a video and requires changing.  If you're using the camera with very patient subjects then it that's fine.  If you're doing video that has to capture the moment when it arrives then you're gambling.

A few people do complain about actual battery life but frankly it is what you kind of expect it to be.  The 280 still uses the same battery my 3 year old 1300is uses, but it is going to require a lot more power to process video and to power the zoom, etc. I don't expect the identical battery to last as long as it does in my 1300is.  Maybe if Canon had put in a bigger battery then it would, but then you'd have a bigger camera. Still, I estimate I could probably have shot 30-40 minutes continuous video with it ( I never did videos that long) vs. perhaps an hour or so with my 1300 (it won't take continuous video that long).  My experience was with heavy shooting I can go all day with my 1300is (but I am not inclined to use it much for video) whereas I'd get 2/3 of a day with the 280 (but more video shots too).  You can buy third party batteries that fit into the 280 that have bigger storage and there's discussion of those on the forum.

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

My issue is battery drain. I'm fully aware of the false battery drain fixed by a firmware upgrade. I have the latest firmware. My issue was, " took about 400 photos + 1 video (short) and the battery died. I thought, OK. I have 2 other batteries: non-canon. They both quickly died after less then 100 photos. Fortunately, I brought my older canon SD800 that I could use the rest of the trip.

If you can imagine being on top of Machu Picchu (Peru), and have no camera because of this issue. Fortunately, Our iPnone5 was an adequate backup!

I called Canon after the trip; They agreed to send the camera back for repair (no charge) with no gurantee that I would receive a new camera, a refurbished camera, or a 'fixed' camera.

After being a a faithful Canon camera user for the kast 15 years, I'm extremely disappointed with this camera.

I haven't strictly monitored photo count per battery with either my 1300is nor the 280.  Stll, I was shooting pretty heavily, as I presume you are doing, with the 280 on vacation to Utah.  It would make it to mid-afternoon and I'd have to change battery pack.  I would have perhaps have shot a few minutes of video in that time too, so not too much, and a couple of hundred photos.  What you're saying sounds about normal to me for that camera (and what others have reported).  That said, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I am not sure it is unusual.  Sure, I can shoot a whole day with one battery in my 1300is, but the screen is not as large and the zoom is pretty short.  The movie format is 640x480 motion-jpeg which it would not suprise me if it didn't take as much processing as 720p mp4.  With the 1300is I recall getting a day and perhaps an hour or two the next day under similar heavy vacation shooting.

As for the third party batteries, you might want to read about experience others have had with those, as well as the battery specifications.  I had two spare batteries on my trip.  One it turned out was sold as a replacement for Canon battery but when I looked at it the charge rating was significantly lower.  (The other battery was the one from my 1300is.) 

Yes, it would be nice if the camera would shoot all day on one battery, but for whatever reason Canon decided to use a smaller battery.  I certainly got and used "more" camera with the 280 than the 1300is so I don't expect it to last as long with the identical battery.  I suspect if we wanted a camera that would last a whole day with heavy shooting then it could be done, at the price of a heavier and more bulky camera.

Witchy
Apprentice

My camera shuts down when I use the zoom (mostly) or just when I want to take a picture. I get the message "charge battery". The battery indicator showed a full battery! It even happened a few minutes after I had replaced the battery with a full one.

The strange thing is that, when I wait ten minutes, I can go on shooting pictures. Or I take the battery out, wait a few minutes, put the same battery in, and I can take pictures with the battery indicator on full. And then suddenly the camera shuts down and I get the "charge battery" again. But, as I said, the battery is full.

I have the new firmware installed. That didnot make any difference. Also the battery keeps flashing when I take a video, that didnot make any difference either.

I am now completely fed up with this camera. I thought I'd buy a Canon after several Panasonics, thought that would be a good choice. What a mistake.

Witchy,

Yes, that is what many, many others have complained about in a long topic elsewhere on this forum.  However, I am not sure it is what the original poster of this topic was observing.  I believe even if you use the camera in a manner where you ignore, override, or simple work around the flashing video issue, the battery simply doesn't last as long as it did in earlier cameras.  Again I have not tested this rigorously but I know I can get more days of use out of my 1300is on a single battery than I could out of the 280sx under similar vacation type use. As I mentioned earlier, you do get more camera with the 280 than the 1300 and unless somebody comes up with some fancy power saving features then more camera usually means more power draw.  I repeat, I am not referring to the bad reserve power indicator feature of the 280 which I think is a different issue.  I bet even if that feature was fixed the 280 would still have more general power use than earlier cameras which had the identical battery, such as my 1300is.

I have exactly the same issue as Witchy.  I know a lot of people are reporting the battery problem with video, but I have this problem with just taking regular photos (I don't even use the video).  After some random number of photos (usually less than 5) the camera shuts itself off and won't turn back on.  The battery is fully charged and it happens with both batteries I have.  If I take the battery out and put it back it, it usually starts up again (battery showing fully charged) for another few photos.  Sometimes I have to put the battery in and out a couple times to make it start again.  Are there any known fixes for this ?  I will try the firmware update for the video problem but I am skeptical as most people still seem to have the issue, and I am not sure it is even the same problem.

I am wondering if your problem is more with the battery.  Please see my previous post with a link to some battery testing I have done.  These modern batteries are supposed to have what is called a "flat discharge curve".  What this means is that the voltage stays pretty much constant until the battery is essentially discharged.  But the voltage in poorer batteries starts to drop when a load is put on the battery.  This, coupled with the miserable voltage detection circuitry in the camera can set off the flashing light or the shutdown.

Also, I am wondering if the battery charger could be at fault?

I have not experienced the problem when taking still pictures--only videos.  I'm just suggesting the possible connection with the battery or the charger.  Of the four batteries I have, two different ones are crap.  Only the two Canon batteries work sort of OK, and I wouldn't purchase any other than Canon.  (I don't have any connection with Canon).

Same problem here, cannot make videos, camera bought January 2014 came with old firmware, updated but no difference.

Why Canon can't make batteries with more mAh so it can withstand the high demand ?

Announcements