cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX10 IS zoom photos are all white (severe over exposure?)

JakeInTexas
Apprentice

Hi, I've notice that when I take outdoor pictures, mostly in "Auto" mode, using a fair amount of zoom that the image take is mostly white.  This consistently occurs and is not a one-time event.  I'm assuming that the images are severely over exposed. The environment is typically mid-day sunlight. Taking a picture of the same composition at much lower magnification gives expected results.  I've been through the manual looking for different things to adjust without success.  I've reset all settings to their defaults and the problem persists.  I've tried different modes with similar results.  I've had this camera for a few years now and I haven't experienced this problem before.  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

JakeInTexas,

When shooting outdoors in sunlight, the camera could be metering the exposure improperly because of the sunlight entering the lens at certain angles.  A good way to counter this is by attaching the lens hood that came with the camera.

If this does not help, I would like to take a look at a sample image if you could upload one to this thread.  It will greatly help us determine what else may be causing this.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I will use the lens hood and take some more daytime pictures and see if that resolves the problem. It may be a few days before I can take daylight pictures so please be patient with me.

Announcements