cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovered jpg files not opening.

rain
Contributor

A whole weeks worth of family reunion beach photos possibly lost due to a malfunctioning card reader. Heartbroken. Files were recovered using Recuva from the memory card used with my Canon Powershot SX410IS. The jpgs recovered wouldn't open. Picture Doctor restored into bmps. Bmps say invalid header when trying to open in Corel. I'm a newbie with files. Is there any hope? Two Aunties were depending on me for an album.

17 REPLIES 17

cicopo
Elite

This product has an excellent reputation & you may be able to test it before paying. Read the info carefully to see about that plus how to use it.

[link removed per forum guidelines]

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you cicopo! I will definitely check on this tonight! Smiley Happy

I tried the Lexar program, but it wasn't what I needed. I have recovered the files already and need help with opening them from jpg format that wont open as recovered. Or as a bmp file with an invalid header. I have them in both formats. I have a sinking feeling this isn't possible at this point. Thank you for your idea. Smiley Wink

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Remove card reader from computer and reboot.

Try to direct connect camera to computer using the Canon supplied cable.

I think it's still on the card, I hope ...

Good luck

rain
Contributor
Paul,
I have recovered the files. They were still on the card but not able to be opened. I'm trying at this point to see if they are repairable to open. I have them in jpg and bmp. The bmps were repaired by File Doctor but show invalid header when I try to open them. From now on I will only download by direct connection in hopes to be safer. Thank you for your idea. 😊

If you can't open the files I recommend starting over from scratch using Lexar or another reputable program.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

rain
Contributor
Thank you cicopo. Sadly, I no longer have the card. Upon seeing the files had been recovered and scratches on the card's connecting components it was discarded. 😩

What kind of file extensions are on the recovered files? .jpg? .jpeg? .bmp? Do the files in fact have a file extension?

About how big are the file sizes, just to make sure they aren't suspiciously small.

BurnUnit

_MG_4528

JPG File (.JPG)

3.26 MB (3,428,539 bytes)

These are the properties of one of the files recovered from the memory card using Recuva above.

I only repaired one file using Picture Doctor as I have to do them one at a time below.

_MG_3975

BMP File (.bmp)

54 bytes (54 bytes) Hmmmm, a little small

Thank you for your input.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements