cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovered jpg files not opening.

rain
Contributor

A whole weeks worth of family reunion beach photos possibly lost due to a malfunctioning card reader. Heartbroken. Files were recovered using Recuva from the memory card used with my Canon Powershot SX410IS. The jpgs recovered wouldn't open. Picture Doctor restored into bmps. Bmps say invalid header when trying to open in Corel. I'm a newbie with files. Is there any hope? Two Aunties were depending on me for an album.

17 REPLIES 17

It may be the recovery program or it may have been how you set up your camera but the underscore in the prefex part of the file number (_MG) tells me it should be a file shot using the Adobe color space rather than sRGB. Is that intentional? Most people don't own monitors capable of working in the Adobe color space.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cicopo,

IMG_4537

JPG File

3.33 MB (3,495,559.00 bytes)

The above are the properties of an image I see as I'm directly connected at the moment.  It must have been the recovery program? 

OK. You showed the underscore in the previous message.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cicopo,

Yes, the previous message was a file after it had been recovered by the Recuva software. The file in the second message is a clean, current file in the camera I am looking at now directly connected. Smiley Happy

@rain wrote:

cicopo,

Yes, the previous message was a file after it had been recovered by the Recuva software. The file in the second message is a clean, current file in the camera I am looking at now directly connected. Smiley Happy

Are your recoverd files stored on your desktop or laptop? If not, transfer them from your camera memory card now before doing anything else to try saving them.

Assuming you're using Windows, open the folder where your recovered files are stored. If the file names are listed as something like IMG_4537 and not as IMG_4537.jpg you may need to add a file extension to get them to open. The recovery software may have removed the file extensions for some reason.

Copy a couple of the recovered files to your desktop to try an experiment. Right click on one of the image copies and change the file name by adding .jpg to the end of the existing file name. Then try to open the renamed file and see what happens. You can also using an extension like .JPG or .jpeg but they should all respond the same assuming they are jpeg files.

That .BMP file is way too small, like maybe a small text file. Or a badly corrupted image file.

rain
Contributor
BurnUnit,
I have recovered the files from the memory card and saved them on my tablet. They end with .JPG already. Thank you for your input. 😉

It probably won't make a bit difference, but what software are you using to try opening the image files? If you're using an image browser, have you tried maybe opening them with some image editing software? Have you tried to view them in a web browser? Have you tried opening them on a laptop or desktop computer?

rain
Contributor
BurnUnit, sorry it took so long to respond. I tried all your ideas on opening the files with no succes. Thank you for your time.
Announcements