cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem photographing kids with my new PS SX 710

rbm442
Contributor

I recently purchased a Power Shot SX710 to update my Power Shot SD1400. I love the 30x zoom. The problem I am having is that the kids pictures come out blurry. My old camera had a kids & pet setting that never let me down. All my kid pictures came out perfect. I don't see a kids & pets setting on the new camera. I tried the sports setting with very poor results. All my pictures came out blurry. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority

Whether you simplify it with a symbol for sports or a symbol for kids and pets, it comes down to freezing motion. For that you need to set a fast shutter speed.  That will be easier in bright sunshine than indoors with artificial lighting. Your eyes are a lot better at seeing in mediocre light than your camera is. 

Watch a couple of free free short video tutorials on the internet on "the exposure triangle".  A proper exposure is putting the right amount of light onto the sensor. To do this you manipulate 3 settings: shutter speed, aperture size and ISO sensitivity.  This will get you past the point of depending on the canned "pets" setting so you can control what's going on and see what's going wrong. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

newsense52
Rising Star

I have this SX710HS is only good if the setting is in Auto mode. If I try other setting only good in LCD but not good in printed photo in CVS or Target ( pictures are saturated colors ) but in auto mode a little bit better. ( with or whitout flash )

The picture is blurry if the auto detect is not yet finished in its auto detect mode working, then you press the shutter, result is blurred, moving  the focus  is also another factor.

Press the shutter halfway till you see the green colors then press all the way down.

Announcements