cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX620 HS Dark Pictures

mgratton
Contributor

When pressing the shutter half way, the picture goes dark and the result is a dark picture.

The camera is only a few months old and got use very little.

I send the camera for repairs and it came back as *passed all tests, no errors*.

I still get a dark picture even after a Reset All; I only use it on AUTO.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you indoors?  It could be that your flash is not working.  Try it outdoors, on a bright sunny day.  

If you are still having issues, then contact Canon Support by phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was outdoor on a sunny day and just recently tried it inside with the flash raised and same thing happened.

newsense52
Rising Star

Try to use a timer to take a shot.

At playback, press display button to show info of the shot you have taken.

Give those informations for us to analyse why the picture is dark.

lots of info there: pic of a battery, 100-0001
1/5
AUTO 1/60
ISO400 F3.2
+/-0
AWB
3.62MB
5184x3999
date and time
1/4 round sign with an L on the left bottom of display

and another dark picture taken outside on a sunny day:

100-0010

10/10

AUTO 1/1250

ISO100 F5.6

+-0

AWB

The data you mentioned in playback is normal.

Press DISP button  to show the graph of that photo during playback.

Try to take a video if there is no video then the problem is in the camera card, i guess.

What am I looking for in the graph?
I took a video and it plays back.

The graph ( histogram ) shows the pixel exposed/underexposed height quantity in excel format of an image taken. If there is like a mountain graph it is Ok- the camera is OK. The video plays therefore the camera is Ok. But the still photo is dark during playback, two things you got to do:

1) Locate the file 100-0001, 100-0010 from your display menu and open it.

2) Format the  camera card from your camera menu.

Other consideration is that if the ISO setting is so high during sunny day the image is dark as seen on LCD, this ISO is fixed in auto mode, change to P mode or Av mode.

Other hint is the LCD light is very lit or less lit at all, adjust the light of LCD.

Let me know the description of dark photo as seen on playback after you have performed my recommendation.

I have to switch to P mode and adjust the ISO from auto to 800 or higher to get a proper picture otherwise in ISO auto and AUTO mode the display/picture goes dark. I should not have to do that; the AUTO mode should make those adjustments. My other cameras(PowerShot "SX150, Olympus tough) makes those adjustments. Thanks for you help!

Announcements