Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Powershot G7XII wifi connection Windows10

[ Edited ]

My camera still wont connect after taking all of these steps. My computer doesn't even recognize it. I'm using windows 10. I just shut off my vpn and it came up on my laptop but now it disconnects in seconds. I dont know what else to do.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Powershot G7XII wifi connection Windows10

Hello meme1109

My previous post was wrong. Problem is not solved! True it seemed to work for a few days, but I'm back to square one. But there is more: I've had some technical advice. (Any tech guys out there, please contradict if I'm wrong). It seems that (unllike the connection to my printer), the camera wifi connection goes via Canon servers, instead of directly to my router. In other words, the photos I'm trying to send to my computer are being uploaded first to Canon servers and then downloaded to my computer via my router. So the problem isn't just that Canon servers aren't doing their job, but also that your photos are being sent out to the internet. By contrast, my wifi printer connection (also Canon) is closed: ie it's just my computer, my printer and my router: it doesn't get uploaded to Canon servers first.

This doesn't help getting wifi to work with our G7X, but it might make us think twice: do we really want our photos out there on the internet?

If Canon reads this, can you please explain why the technology for connecting my printer won't work with my camera (ie a closed system). Thanks