cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot G16 new logic module startup problem.

chuckpen
Contributor

Hello all,

I have two powershot g16's that both had the battery door switch broken.  I purchased two replacement logic boards from canon and installed them.  both cameras fail to initialize properly.  they both turn on the power indicator and the two leds by the rear viewfinder.  they do not display anything on the LCD and the lens do not move.  they both will not turn off except by battery removal.  what am I missing in this repair?  Is there a startup proceedure or something else I need to do?

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

The camera should have worked properly when you turned them on there is no setup procedure after replacing the main PCB or logic board as you called it. In order to remove that board you had to disconnect a few cables and other items perhaps you didn't reconnect them all when you put them back together or made some other error during the reassembly. Hopefully Canon sent you the right parts and version too. I have the service manual for the G11 and it is not an easy task to replace those boards but it is easy to make an error. I know you don't want to hear "take them apart and inspect what you did" but it might come down to that. Perhaps someone else might have more information. Since you cannot see the menus you cannot perform a reset. Or does the viewfnder work?

Yes, I thought the PCB should work out of the box as well.  Just as a note, my hobby is repairing the G series Powershot cameras and I have worked on many, from the G9, G11, G12, G16 models.  I can fully disassemble and reassemble these without issue.  I am actually trying to learn to repair the lens assemblies as well, but have had little success (patience) with that so far.  Replacing the logic PCB on the G16 is really pretty straight forward, only requiring the rear cover removal, remove the LCD and then the menu button module and finally the rear metal frame and then the remaining PCB screw.  

I have two G16's doing the exact same thing which leads me to believe there is something I am missing.  I like the idea of PCB revision but Canon only offered one module with no revsion or firmware selection.

My current guess is that the camera needs a software setup, like adding the correct serial number and such.  I have an email to Canon support and will update what I find.  

Than you for taking the time to assist.  All ideas appreciated.

/cp

Your welcome and the odds of you making the exact same mistake on both repairs are slim. Just for the heck of it have you tried connecting thru your computer and the Canon software?

As expected, Canon "Support" does not offer support on repair.  The standard "send it for repair" or send it for a "trade-n" was offered.  

Looking for a good Canon Repair forum.  Any suggestions?

thanks all,

/cp

Hi chuckpen,

You're absolutely right. Canon USA does not offer support on DIY repairs. When you call  our parts desk, there is even a disclaimer that says there is no support from Canon USA on parts. 

If you need a Canon camera repaired, we have an entire repair division that has been trained by Canon to bring cameras to factory specifications. 

We hope this helps clarify things!

What I am learning is that the new PCB Logic Main Board that is sold by Canon is unusable in the provided state.  Seems that there is a software initialization tool that is required to complete my repair.  Does Canon offer the tool for download?  

Nope no way

Their repairs to factory standards I believe are only guaranteed for 90 days too.

Announcements