cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot ELPH 360 HS Not connecting to wifi

Sapphire
Apprentice

Trying to get my new camera to connect to our wifi. We have done everything cannon has told us to but each time we try to connect to our router and put in our password (which we know is correct) it searches for a few seconds then tells us the connection failed. We have been at this all night and have become VERY frustrated. Any help is appreciated (because we have tried everything we have come across in our searching for help)  My computer is a PC OS Windows 10, I have also already downloaded the cannon utilties and gone into the wifi connection setup.

13 REPLIES 13

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Sapphire,

Thanks for posting.

I recommend giving our Technical Support team a call. They'll be able to guide you, step-by-step, through the setup of your camera's wireless connection. You may reach them by calling 800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sapphire wrote:

Trying to get my new camera to connect to our wifi. We have done everything cannon has told us to but each time we try to connect to our router and put in our password (which we know is correct) it searches for a few seconds then tells us the connection failed. We have been at this all night and have become VERY frustrated. Any help is appreciated (because we have tried everything we have come across in our searching for help)  My computer is a PC OS Windows 10, I have also already downloaded the cannon utilties and gone into the wifi connection setup.

Verify the security settings on the router.  For example, the router could only be allowing certain MAC addresses to connect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We have not called tech yet, because with a 2 year old there never seems to be the time (and when there is it means she's sleeping and we DO NOT want to wake a sleeping toddler).

Router security settings have been checked, suddenly now my husband's computer will randomly appear as an option but never long enough for us to actually connect to it.

kgw
Apprentice

I am having the same issue as Sapphire below in trying to get the connection.  Everything appears like it should go through and then comes up failed.  I am ready to return this camera and get something else.  I have Windows 10 on a fairly new HP laptop. I even had the Geek Squad at Best Buy look at my computer to see if something was wrong and they could not find anything.

Kristine

jesteban
Apprentice

I was able to get mine connected but noticed that it would fail at times.  I thought that it might have something to do with the battery not being charged all the way and so I moved closer to the WIFI server and it immediately connected with no problem.   I've done this several times and the problem is that the wifi signal strength goes down pretty quickly even with a battery that doesn't show any degradation in the opening screen.  So just try getting the wifi server closer to the camera.

chhanks
Apprentice

It's May 2017 and I've just spent several hours trying to connect my new Power Shot ELPH 360 HS to my PC on my home

Wi Fi.  Tried everything described in the manual and always got "Connection Failed."

Called Canon tech support number and got a very nice person who eventually admitted, after nothing she talked me through  worked, that the wi fi connection was probably not going to ever work because I'm using Windows 10 and, as a result,  there's something somewhere preventing me from using the wi fi feature of my camera. Hafta move photos to my PC using the USB cable that came with my old Canon Powershot A530 that I bought more than ten years ago.  (The Tech support person showed me how to hook a USB cable to the ELPH 360 HS - there is no description in the manual of how to do that, of course,  because the manual, of course, thinks using wi-fi is what you're going to do... (and the AV OUT digital port on the camera is well hidden...).

I'm not sure whether  to thank Microsoft for developing a new operating system (Windows 10) that causes trouble for Canon wi-fi- enabled cameras (the tech support person told me, after I asked, that, indeed,  a lot of people are having the same problem I have , or Canon, for making a "wi-fi" camera bought in 2017 that doesn't work very well with the Windows 10 operating system.  (Presumably part of the $200 cost for the ELPH 360 HS camera was for the wi-fi connectivity, right??)  

newsense52
Rising Star

It is not canon or windows  is the source of the problem but the network provider of wifi.

Example is spectrum, only registered product to spectrum  can avail the services of wifi.

Right.  My wi fi device is provided by AT&T - and it makes  sense that an AT&T wi fi router woudl not recognize my Canon camera.

Or not.  

Wifi is a paid services by any network provider, so any one who use it must be with the consent /paid to provider and is not free. Public wifi is free but string attached or risk is at your side.

Announcements