cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX520

guyguy17
Apprentice

I am a beginner and I am looking at the PS SX520 camera. I am looking to see if this camera would suit my needs.

1. Does this camera take good pictures in an auditorium where the setting is low level lighting? 

2. Which memory card is best used in this type of camera?  I know that most cards would fit.

3. Does this camera take rechargeable battery? 

I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 and Nikon L840 both cameras are suppose to be really good. Obviously, the Panasonic is better than Nikon. I wanted to see if the PowerShot camera is good as well. I have read that some cameras when you zoom into an object, the extension starts to shake and you lose quality of the picture.  Does this happen with the PowerShot camera?

I am looking to take outdoor pictures of scenery, nature, landmarks, my kids playing sports, etc..  I will be taking some action shots of my kids playing sports.  I will be taking pictures on a bright sunny day and other times it might be cloudy.

I am looking to take indoor pictures as well.  I will be taking pictures in low level light, maybe a lamp on, maybe the sun coming through the window.  I will be taking pictures in an auditorium where I will be sitting with dim to low level lighting but the stage has bright lights.  Obviously, sitting in an auditorium, you have to sometimes zoom in to capture the shot on stage.

This is a bonus. I would like to take video of my kids, indoors and outdoors possibly with sound.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you asking about long discontinued cameras?  By thrid parties?  BTW, I haven't found a PowerShot SX570.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes there is no SX570 there is an old A570 though? 

My apologizes.  I meant the Powershot SX520 model NOT SX570.  Back to my original questions.  I am looking at the SX520 model. 

John_
Authority

Ok so the SX520, I think it is a good choice, of course there are better choices for more dollars but that model, in that class will perform ok with some limitations.

It does take very good low light level pictures in all situations and lighting

You'll want a SD card with a speed class of 4 or higher and it accepts most types, SD, SDHC and SDXC.

It has a rechargable battery that recharges outside of the camera in the charging unit.

As far as the lens shaking at long zooms, it's not the lens that will shake it would be you or your hands so at max zoom for that one 42X either a real good steady hands propped or resting on something  or a monopod which is easier to carry around is the way to go. That is a common issue with all long zoom cameras but I have gotten many good pictures without a monopod or tripod at long zooms up to 50X.

As far as video you'll be limited to clip lenghts of 4GB or 30 minutes or 1 hour at the lowest video size of VGA but that too is a common thing with all cameras, some say it is limited in size and length so as not to infringe on the video camera market. The sound quality from the microphone will be dependent on how far away you are. The placement of the microhpones is not in an ideal position either, they look like they are facing the photographer and not the subject. They are Item #2 in the picture I inserted.

Also there is no hotshoe on that model for an external flash to be mounted so you would need something like a wireless flash for that which would mount to the tripod adapter on the bottom or handheld. Im not sure how that works. For me that would be a deal breaker.

Capture2.JPG

Thanks for the information. So you would recommend this camera for a beginner to use? Despite, the microphone and external flash issue, this would be ideal for me to use in all different situations. Most likely, I will be using this camera for taking pictures outdoors and some indoor shots. 

I was looking at this camera because it doesn't break the bank and it works in my budget.  The Panasonic Lumix is expensive even on Ebay. The Nikon Coolpix L840 is a good camera and fits in my budget but I read some reviews on the zooming part of it where it doesn't take good long distance shots. The picture quality is bad. 

What other Canon Powershot camera do you recommend with the same features as SX520?  

@guyguy17 wrote:

Thanks for the information. So you would recommend this camera for a beginner to use? Despite, the microphone and external flash issue, this would be ideal for me to use in all different situations. Most likely, I will be using this camera for taking pictures outdoors and some indoor shots. 

I was looking at this camera because it doesn't break the bank and it works in my budget.  The Panasonic Lumix is expensive even on Ebay. The Nikon Coolpix L840 is a good camera and fits in my budget but I read some reviews on the zooming part of it where it doesn't take good long distance shots. The picture quality is bad. 

What other Canon Powershot camera do you recommend with the same features as SX520?  

Buyer beware.  Beware of buying used gear, sight unseen.  You will get what you pay for.  There are a couple of retailers that sell used gear with guarantees.  Another good place to shop for camera deals is the Canon Online Refurbished Store.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

All the long zoom Powershots have similar features and I doubt the picture quality is bad on the SX520. Bad compared to what? A $3000 dallar camera and zoom lens? well yes of course! But still not bad just not as good though.

As is often the case it is the budget that makes the final decision!

It would be a good choice for you, go on the Canon website under the Support section and find the User Manual for it that will give you a better idea of it and all it can do.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements