cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G15 Software Installation Problem

NormS1948
Apprentice

I am using a Windows Vista 32-bit operating system.  When I attempt to install the software included with my G15, the installation program crashes with a general error message from Windows.  I spoke with Canon Support and was told that this is my problem, not theirs.

Has anyone else had issues getting the software to install and if so, were you able to circumvent the problem?

In advance, thanks for any help on this issue.

2 REPLIES 2

henrik
Apprentice

I have experienced the same, on a  laptop running  64bit Windows 7. However, the software installed nicely fromt

he same dvd on another laptop running 64bit Windows 7. In this case I'm now certain the problem is

that the first laptop does not have the resources required to run the Canon software (cpu too weak). 

The error message "unknown error" is  not good software work, the Canon install program ought to 

check for such things and report back in case of problems.

Neither is the lack of detail on the G15 package on computer requirements solid work.

The camera itself is excelent.

Via www.canon.com you can find a link to software for G15, which includes more detalied information on computer

requirements.. I have pasted in the text for the ImageBrowser EX below

my writing. Check via "control panel" "system", whether your computer is "big" enough for the software.

Good luck, Henrik

CPU;
Still images:
- 1.6 GHz or higher
Movies:
- HD (720p), SD: Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz or higher
- Full HD (1080p): Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz or higher
- ALL-I, IPB: Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz or higher

RAM;
Still images:
- Windows 7 (64-bit): 2 GB or more
- Windows 7 (32-bit): 1 GB or more
- Windows Vista (64-bit, 32-bit): 1 GB or more
- Windows XP: 1 GB or more (512 MB or more*2)
Movies:
- HD (720p), SD: 1 GB or more
- Full HD (1080p): 2 GB or more

Interface;
- USB and wireless LAN*1

Hard Disk Space;
- 640 MB or more (440 MB or more*2)
*Silverlight 5.1 or later (max. 100 MB) must be installed. In Windows XP, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 or later (max. 500 MB) must be installed. Installation may take some time, depending on computer performance.

3. Display
- 1,024 x 768 or better

*1 Connections via wireless LAN require compatible digital compact cameras.
*2 On computers that cannot run Digital Photo Professional.

Henrik, thanks for the information.  I have successfully installed the software to a 64-bit Windows 7 computer, but the "Universal Windows Installer" crashes when I attempt to install to a 32-bit Windows Vista desktop.  That 2nd computer easily exceeds all of the requirements posted in your message.

Canon Support noted that their Universal Installer has worked successfully on Windows 7 and Windows Vista and the problem is, therefore, "something in how your computer is configured."  Not much help, is it?  They also noted that the Universal Installer software is the ONLY way to install the Canon software...no alternative work-arounds exist.

Don't get me wrong, I think the camera is great, and the only reason I want the software to install is for the Digital Photo Professional (DPP) program (equivalent to the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) software that runs in Bridge and Photoshop).  A number of professional photographers I have read about feel that DPP does a better job of translating Canon RAW files than ACR does but I can't really test that without the DPP program installed and running.

Happy New Year!

Norm

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements