cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot A2600 - Win10 Laptop stopped recognizing my camera

M-Kay
Apprentice

Wanted to see what was on my SD card, plugged in the camera with the USB cable and everything was fine (my pictures showed on my laptop with the boxes to be checked if u wanted to download).   I  decided not to download the pics and unplugged the camera from the laptop (did shut off camera).  Then I noticed that the pics  waiting to be checked and downloaded  stayed on the screen, so I just closed the window.  I changed SD cards and when I re-inserted the camera via the  USB cable, my laptop no longer recognizes my camera.  I unplugged the camera and restarted the computer -- no change.  I tried 2 other USB cables -- no change.  Can u help?   DId I do something to the laptop by unplugging the camera before shutting off the camera, or did I cause a problem because I didn't download any pics and just closed the window??

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@M-Kay wrote:

Wanted to see what was on my SD card, plugged in the camera with the USB cable and everything was fine (my pictures showed on my laptop with the boxes to be checked if u wanted to download).   I  decided not to download the pics and unplugged the camera from the laptop (did shut off camera).  Then I noticed that the pics  waiting to be checked and downloaded  stayed on the screen, so I just closed the window.  I changed SD cards and when I re-inserted the camera via the  USB cable, my laptop no longer recognizes my camera.  I unplugged the camera and restarted the computer -- no change.  I tried 2 other USB cables -- no change.  Can u help?   DId I do something to the laptop by unplugging the camera before shutting off the camera, or did I cause a problem because I didn't download any pics and just closed the window??

How long did you wait for the computer to recognize the camera?  Did you try to start the app manually?

Buy a card reader, and a new SD card so that you do not corrupt the data on the first one.  Make sure that you format the card in the camera, low level format.  If your camera has Wi-Fi, make sure it is disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi M-Kay,

Thanks for posting.

From your description, it sounds like your camera's driver is corrupted. The fix for this is pretty easy.  If you haven't already resolved this, we'll ask that you locate the driver in your computer's Device Manager, remove it, then allow Windows to re-install it.

An easy way to get into the Device Manager is to right-click on the Windows/ Start icon, then click on "Device Manager".

Once in the Device Manger, please look for the "Portable Devices" folder. If your camera is in there, please right-click on the driver and uninstall the driver. Once this process is complete, please turn your camera off for a few seconds, then turn it back on (in the playback mode).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements