cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SX700HS happily transferred Pictures to my Dell Windows 7 machine. Now it won't.

deadbeatdave
Apprentice

My SX700HS happily transferred pictures to my Dell Windows 7 machine.  How it won't.  The camera shop have checked that the camera and cable are working, but there is no link shown on "My Computer".  On the devices and printer screen it asks what action I should take - from "no action" to open with Windows, Explorer etc. 

How do I reestablish a link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sounds a good idea.  I'll try when I see my friend with the card reader.  Many thanks for such a quick and probably very helpful solution

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority

I don't know how to solve whatever has gone awry in that chain of camera software, computer software, cables and preference settings, etc., but that kind of frustratingly opaque mystery problem is exactly why I stopped letting the camera and the computer do what they want with my image imports. 

It it is much simpler and 100% reliable to just take the card out of the camera and plug the card into a card reader. Either one built into your computer or a cheap usb connecting card reader.  You just make a file for every cardfull of images (I name with the date plus short description like 2015-11-16; pumpkin patch) and then drag and drop the images from card to file. 

This also means you don't run your camera charge down during a download through a cable. 

It it is also a faster download. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Sounds a good idea.  I'll try when I see my friend with the card reader.  Many thanks for such a quick and probably very helpful solution

Brilliant. Worked perfectly. Very grateful. Many thanks
Announcements