cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon sx260 is not communicating to my computer?

meow
Contributor

This is a sudden problem.  Everything has worked well until today when I tried to send new pictures to my computer.  There are communication problems.  I tried a new cable, that did not work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

meow
Contributor

For anyone else who has experienced this problem I want to tell you how I solved my own question.  I read in the camera manuel that if the storage card had too many photos stored this problem would occur.  I bought a new SD card (this time 16GB instead of 32) and installed it in the camera.  Photos now transfer to the computer via the provided cable again.  Problem solved!  Hope this helps anyone else who experiences the same issue.  Don't buy cards with huge amounts of storage if you want to transfer photos via the cable.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Tiffany

Hi Meow!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Computer Operating System you're using. (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x) 

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks and have a great day!

Windows 7 premium.......I have always been able to connect the camera to the laptop without problem.  Today I was not able to get a connection registered so I could transfer photos.  I tried reinstalling the software but the camera could not be recognized by the computer as being connected.

meow,

If you have another computer and/or USB cable you can use, try making the connection with those.  I am curious to see if other computers will recognize the camera or if there is a problem with that specific USB cable.

1.  Does the camera connect with other computers?

2.  Does the camera connect to your laptop with other USB cables?

3.  Do you have any devices connected to your laptop other than the camera, wired or wireless?

4.  Does your computer make any "beeps" or noises when you connect the camera?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried 2 other cables, one new and never used before.  I unplugged my printer (which connects to the computer and works) and tried that conncetion.....the camer did not connect.  The camera message says there are communication problems.  I don't have another computer to try although I'm beginning to think it is the camera and not the computer that has the problem.  There are not beeps or any indication that there is a contact being made at all.  The message appears on my camera screen, not the computer.  When I manually go into the Cannon program and try to connect, the computer says there is no connection, try again.

After reading the manual several times I came across a list of things that might be wrong and saw a possible explanation for my problem.  It might be that my camera chip has too many pictures stored to communicate?  I keep all my chips as backup so I don't want to delete any pictures and this one is not nearly full yet but already has almost 3000 pictures stored on it.  So, for the time being, I will put the chip in the computer to transfer my pictures (which works by the way) and see what happens when I get a new chip.  If this is the problem I will buy ones with lesser storage capabilities.

Otherwise, I LOVE this camera and it still takes fantastic pictures.  Any input as to the cable transfer problem is appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I can't mark anything as an accepted solution because the problem has not been resolved.  Nor has there been a definitive reason for this problem offered by someone who knows more about technology than myself.  I am still open to a response that solves the problem or offers a logical reason for its cause.  Thank you.

Meow

meow,

If you get the opportunity to connect the camera to another computer, that would be a good way to determine what needs to happen from this point.  If the other computer still does not recognize the camera, then something indeed may be wrong with the camera itself and the camera will need to be repaired.

If repair becomes necessary, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.  Alternatively, you may continue to use a card reader to download the images from the SD card.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

meow
Contributor

For anyone else who has experienced this problem I want to tell you how I solved my own question.  I read in the camera manuel that if the storage card had too many photos stored this problem would occur.  I bought a new SD card (this time 16GB instead of 32) and installed it in the camera.  Photos now transfer to the computer via the provided cable again.  Problem solved!  Hope this helps anyone else who experiences the same issue.  Don't buy cards with huge amounts of storage if you want to transfer photos via the cable.

This solution did not work for me. I've lost connection between my camera and the computer. I've tried two different data cables with identical results. I've tried two different computers with identical results. I've tried two different PC operating system with identical results. I've reformatted my SD card, and I've reset the camera to factory settings. All to no avail.  I am able to read files from my SD card just fine, when I remove it from the camera.  I'm starting to wonder if the camera's output USB port has suddenly gone bad.

Hello jabeita, 

Given the troubleshooting that you've already undertaken I would recommend sending the camera into Canon to have us evaluate the camera.  

You can set up service here directly on Canon's web site.  

(https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair)

Announcements