cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IXUS 230 HS max SD card size

Old-Grey
Apprentice

The manual shows the holding capacity of a 4GB and 16GB SD card, but not the maxium sized card it can use.

I mainly want the camera for 1080p video, which uses a lot of capacity, and was wondeing how big a card it will take.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What types of cards are listed to work with the camera?  SD cards max out at 32 GB.  SDXC cards are 64 GB, and bigger.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I found a 32GB micro and a SD adaptor and it says 115min of video, which I assume is all accessible. The ironic thing is that the battery only lasts 30 min.

I think I have it worked out. It uses DFC file system, which is FAT, and if it's FAT32 I remember it has a 128GB limit. So a 128GB SD card is $105 - ouch -, and that will give you 490min.

@Old-Grey wrote:
I found a 32GB micro and a SD adaptor and it says 115min of video, which I assume is all accessible. The ironic thing is that the battery only lasts 30 min.

I think I have it worked out. It uses DFC file system, which is FAT, and if it's FAT32 I remember it has a 128GB limit. So a 128GB SD card is $105 - ouch -, and that will give you 490min.

The use of microSD cards with adapters is highly inadvisable.  The microSD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.  The adapters are unreliable, and the source of many problems.

Check your instruction manual.  I'm pretty certain that it lists what types of cards can be used.  I'm pretty certain that microSD is not one of the types listed for use.

You don't have it worked out.  Format your cards in the camera. There are two different file system formats that can be used, FAT and exFAT, depending upon the storage capacity of the card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Danny

Hi, Old-Grey!

The IXUS 230 HS, known here in the United States as the PowerShot ELPH 310 HS, can use SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, allowing it to use memory cards up to 2 TB in size.  For best results, we recommend using full-sized SD-shaped cards and avoiding the use of cards with a smaller form factor, such as Micro SD cards, in combination with adapters.

We hope this helps!

Announcements