cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use my G7X Mark II as a webcam : How i can turn off the Diplay Off function

TrevSpacer
Apprentice

I already have all the equipment to get the image on my computer screen, the only thing left is to remove the automatic fucntion of Display off after a certain amount of time.

I just cannot find any way to do it !

thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

From what I saw in the manual all the Power Saving features like powering off the camera and turning the display off are disabled when the camera is connected to a PC or WiFi ?

Ok , im going to see if it work when i connect the camera on wifi ! Because right now i am using a capture card with the HDMI output of the camera , and with that setup , the Display off function is still working.

And now after trying to get my phone sync to the camera , i am getting this error.

A camera error was detect 

the camera will shut down

Error 60

but i cannot find any help on this topic , anybody know what to do from here ?

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi TrevSpacer,

Thank you for posting.

Canon PowwerShot Cameras cannot be used as a webcam. I regret any difficulty this causes.

If you're still searching for a solution, Canon's EOS digital SLR and EOS M (mirrorless) cameras are able to perform this task.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It is possible to use the Canon PowerShot as a webcam using a USB camlink device. The only issue, which was the original question, is the camera the display off after 3mins. There is no reason for this arbitrary number, and there should also be the ability to disable this function.

Hi Richard! 

I know I'm a few years late but, can someone tell me WHY this is? I am now looking to buy a G7X Mark III and I want to do the same thing. I want to purchase the most verstial camera and also need a webcam so this seemed like a great fit but, everywhere I search seems it isn't possible. Can you help me to understand the reason behind this?

I appreciate any detail you can provide. 

@gulleyjeremy wrote:

Hi Richard! 

I know I'm a few years late but, can someone tell me WHY this is? I am now looking to buy a G7X Mark III and I want to do the same thing. I want to purchase the most verstial camera and also need a webcam so this seemed like a great fit but, everywhere I search seems it isn't possible. Can you help me to understand the reason behind this?

I appreciate any detail you can provide. 

How hard have you looked?  Canon released Web Cam Beta Software for the Windows 10 platform several weeks ago.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/EOS-Webcam-Utility-Beta-Software-Share-Your-Feedback/m-p... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gtx1660build
Apprentice
Welp 700$ camera cant even webcam mhm erm.... lazyyyyyyy engineers

joshuamataa
Apprentice

Is this fixed with the latest software update? 

Announcements