cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchase an ELPH 190IS and I've tried everything to get it to connect to my laptop and nothin

wmh9680
Contributor

I just purchase an ELPH 190IS and I've tried everything to get it to connect to my laptop and nothing works, it always fails. I am running windows 7 64 bit home and school. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks everyone, I stumbled across this Cano youtube video that made the wireless connection easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xcwUAVdpCg   canon youtube wireless 190 setup windows device.

It had an extra step I did not see anywhere else. 

Thanks again everyone

Mike

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you try a second USB cable?

I'm sorry, I should have said I can't get it to connect wirelessly. I don't have a usb cable yet. I'm glad I received an email saying that someone had responded. I'm on 2 other forums and I can't get it set to notify me when there has been a response. Thanks, Mike

Do you have a wifi access point (router) or are you trying to hook directly to the computer? It looks like you have to have a network access point you cannot make an ad hoc connection to the computer.

Apple or Windows?

Yes, Im trying to connect wirelessly (I bought the camera so I could do that). I've followed all the instructions in the book and different ways at 

http://www.canon.ca/support_images/wifits/pdf/PS-Sending-images-to-a-computer-Wi-Fi-function.pdf  online and it always failed. When it says on the access point hold down the WPS connection button for a few seconds I push the wireless button on the front of my ATT 3801HGV gateway and it thinks for a while and eventually fails. Thanks, Mike

Sounds like you are doing it right. Did you try the alternate connection method?

You might want to call Canon.

I've tried everyway I can and it always failed. I just connected the camera with a usb cable and the drivers were installed and the camera shows up in my computer but not when I unplug it. Sometimes when it is searching it finds the computer but still fails. Thanks, Mike

When I turn the camera on while plugged in it comes on for a second and then goes blank. Thanks, Mike

The usb cable I have does not have the round cylinder (for lack of a better term this early in the am) like this one ([link removed per forum guidelines]). It is just a round cable. Do you need the other cable to charge and dl pics. Thanks, Mike

@wmh9680 wrote:

The usb cable I have does not have the round cylinder (for lack of a better term this early in the am) like this one (http://www.marttree.com/canon-powershot-elph-190-is-computer-cable.html). It is just a round cable. Do you need the other cable to charge and dl pics. Thanks, Mike

The round cylinder that you are referring to is a balun, which is an electronic device to reduce noise on data lines.  The lack of a balun strongly suggests that the particular cable either does not have data lines, or susceptible to external noise on its' data lines.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements