cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have both a G9 and a G1 X. File size?

elbee314
Contributor

I have both a G9 and a G1 X. I bought the G1X as an upgrade, which as we know all know is a mixed bag as the pitiful Macro is now clear. However, what truly puzzles me in the file size. What am I missing here? The G9 normally has file sizes just under 10, the G1X normally fewer than 3. Canon's answer seems to be smoke and mirrors, “they are better pixels” really doesn't seem to make sense. Any comments will be appreciated.

elbee314
7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz
is the quality setting the same for both camera? To truly judge the file size, both of them has to be the same subject, lightning, setting and exposure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

elbee314
Contributor

Both cameras are set at max files size and resolution.

elbee314

Any thoughts?

elbee314

Hi Elbee314,

RAW images sizes on the PowerShot G9 are 17,076 KB in size.  RAW image sizes from the PowerShot G1 X are 20,112 KB.  So the file sizes from the PowerShot G1 X should be larger.  If you aren't shooting in RAW mode, we would suggest doing so and then comparing sizes.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tim, thanks, although I am "collecting" the RAW files the files sizes I am comparing are JPG.  The G9 consistently has files sizes that are two to five times the file size of the G1X.  Perhaps over the weekend I can review RAW files, but I would expect JPG files size to be proportionate to RAW.

Also, any thought on maximizing the macro abilities of the G1X.  I realize that it is not a great macro camera, but I would like to at least get the most out of it.

elbee314

@elbee314 wrote:

Also, any thought on maximizing the macro abilities of the G1X.  I realize that it is not a great macro camera, but I would like to at least get the most out of it.

Yes, you can get a close up filter. It will increase your magnification.

http://www.kenkoglobal.com/pro1d-ac_close-up.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391219-REG/Hoya_XD58CUP3_58_mm_3_Close_Up.html

Those are quality one, and of couse you can buy the Canon one or any cheaper alternative you can find. Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Excellent idea, I was saving money to buy a body to fit my 11 Nikkor lenses in order to utilize my macro lenses and bellows, but a cheap close up filter will get me by for a bit.

elbee314
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements