cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change video output format on my Canon G12?

mnc567
Apprentice

Hi, I am trying to make a video for youtube on my G12 but the video I capture is saved in .MOV which is not compatible with my editing program. Is there a way to change that to something easier to edit? I have used VLC player to turn the video into .mp4 but it takes up to half an hour to do that and I'd rather avoid that step.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RAW is not a format, simply a sensor dump with some extra camera data.

The actual reason is that is what Canon decided to do. It is probably because it is hard to stuff multiple CODECS in the DIGIC chips.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mnc567 wrote:

Hi, I am trying to make a video for youtube on my G12 but the video I capture is saved in .MOV which is not compatible with my editing program. Is there a way to change that to something easier to edit? I have used VLC player to turn the video into .mp4 but it takes up to half an hour to do that and I'd rather avoid that step.

In a word, no.  You cannot change the output format.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, okay...but why is that? I can change pictures from JPEG to RAW so why is .MOV the only chosen format for video?

RAW is not a format, simply a sensor dump with some extra camera data.

The actual reason is that is what Canon decided to do. It is probably because it is hard to stuff multiple CODECS in the DIGIC chips.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements