cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset white balance after shooting a custom white balance shot with my Powershot SX50?

JillO143
Apprentice

I am a realtor shooting interior and exterior house photos for my listings, using the Powershot SX50, recently upgraded from the SX10.  I am trying to use the custom white balance feature for the first time, using the online manual provided with my camera.  I am failing miserably.  If I set a custom white balance, then take a shot, I notice I can not go back to using my speedlite flash for a following shot without it completely washing out the image, and colors are totally off in following shots when I want to switch back to AWB or Tungsten or whatever.  I am struggling to get correct colors with this camera!

1 REPLY 1

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulty you've encountered with white balance on your PowerShot SX50 HS.

To reset the white balance, just choose one of the preset white balance options, including "Auto".

One of the things that's helped me in indoor shots is to choose one of the preset white balance settings. 

Clearly for florescent or incandescent lighting, you'll want to choose the respective white balance setting for such light.

It gets a bit more complicated when you throw in outside lighting.  For this situation, I've learned that the "Cloudy" setting get a very accurate white balance.  This will, of course, depend on the amount of each type of light hitting your subject (walls, floors, etc) and in some instances, the only way to resolve this issue is to use the Custom White Balance setting.

Please note, for each different lighting combination, you'll need to recalibrate the camera shooting a white or photo-gray card.

I hope this helps,

Richard

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements