cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I transfer full size videos using Canon Camera Connect?

joesolari
Apprentice

In January, 2018, I bought a Canon G7X mark II. I noticed that every time I transfer video files from G7X to my Android smartfone or my IPad, using Canon Camera Connect, the video is cropped. Every time.

I set my camera to not resize, but it works only for pictures, not for videos. To get the full videos I am obligated to connect my camera to my computer. But I wish that my small devices receive the full size videos.

I did not find any option for resizing in Camera Connect, only in the G7X.

Those portable devices are so powerful these days, so I would like to use the full size videos in my phone and IPad, not the cropped ones.

Can you help, please.

Thanks in advance.

Eduardo Medeiros

23 REPLIES 23

newsense52
Rising Star

...  I would like to use the full size videos in my phone....

Your android phone must be only 720 vertical res. not 1080 res.

Ask phone forum if you can upscale the video you uploaded.

Hi newsense52!

I have a Zenfone 3 Zoom. I believe it is Full HD. The screen is 1920 x 1080.

Since your phone is 1080, So what device you would like the video in full Hd?

Need clarification.

Same problem. SX730HS. iPhone 6. The phone shoots 1080p, so obviously can handle it. When I use Camera Connect to transfer to the Photos library, it first says converting video, then does the transfer. Appears the conversion is to 720p. Canon needs to fix this.

Phone album/gallery is small storage that is why 720 is acceptable and not 1080, and aside from that the view screen is good for 720 res. not fault of camera but design of phone is the culprit.

But, the final destination may not be the phone. Canon shouldn't be making decisions on how I want to use my phone. Give me the option of full size like you do for stills. For those who want reduced quality, let them have the option to reduce. You're making assumption about usage that are not valid.

If you are downloading video to the computer, your computer codecs is the one reducing it to 720 res. See if your computer is having the codecs  X265 HEVC encoder/ H.265 video encoder, if not upgrade it.

@redavies49 wrote:

But, the final destination may not be the phone. Canon shouldn't be making decisions on how I want to use my phone. Give me the option of full size like you do for stills. For those who want reduced quality, let them have the option to reduce. You're making assumption about usage that are not valid.

It is your phone that is the culprit.  Canon is merely conforming to your phone’s default behavior.  Emphasis on default.

Why would you want to store video on your phone, anyway?  Video files are huge.  Upload your videos to a web service, and use the phone to access the files on the web service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The phone shoots video at 1080p, it is not the limiting factor. My guess is that some Canon engineer, who like you believes he knows better how I should use my equipment than I do, has imposed the restriction.

You can reply if you wish, but I am giving up on this forum as it is not helpful.

Announcements