cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Altitude Balloon Project - Camera settings

Phil2
Apprentice

Hi from the UK.

I'm using a Canon Powershot IXUS50 with a CHDK intervalometer pointing upwards from a balloon payload, the idea is to get some nice shots of the parachute and balloon (and maybe even the balloon burst). The camera is currently set to 'AUTO' with no flash. When I review the shots afterwards I get a lovely picture of the payload rigging in sharp focus but everything beyond that is blurred.

The balloon is 9.3 metres away from the camera with a parachute in between, the apex of the payload rigging lines is 18cm from the camera. The rest of the shot will be blue sky which gradually darkens as the altitude increases. I'm guessing I may need to adjust the focal point of the camera and perhaps the aperture? Things will be swaying about too so I guess shutter speed may be an important consideration?

Any advice on the optimum set up for these shots would be gratefully received. I can probably work out from the manual how to then set the camera up from the standard menus before switching to CHDK mode and starting the intervalometer. 

Many thanks and best wishes,

Phil

0 REPLIES 0
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements