cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X af fails in macro

Krash
Apprentice

This was an occasional problem, now autofocus rarely works in auto macro mode.  Sometimes it briefly focuses, then blurs out.  No other problems with camera.  Any way to fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

newsense52
Rising Star

Try in Av mode, f/3.2, object distance is 12 inches from lens.

Press shutter halfway until a green  frame appears then press fully to shoot.

I pretty much have to shoot in auto mode, can't see well enough to do manual settings,.  I believe macro icon is displayed when required, displays green frame, it just won't focus.  I've gotten around it previously by backing off and zooming in, but that doesn't work anymore.  Camera thinks it's focusing, but it's not.  Any point in doing full reset?

The AV mode still provides automatic exposure. It's aperture priority mode. You set the aperture and the camera automatically selects the proper shutter speed. How well lit is your subject? By leaning in that closely to focus you may be blocking some of your light which might make it more difficult for the camera to focus. I think that's why newsense52 suggested AV with the aperture opened up to f/3.2.

If you're shooting indoors with low light, try moving near a sunlit window. Or try macro focusing outdoors on a sunny day just to confirm if the camera will or won't focus properly.

And there should be no harm in doing a full reset of the camera.

"   I've gotten around it previously by backing off and zooming in, but that doesn't work anymore."

I could preceived that auto focus is dull and image is not sharp is what your description is when zooming in.

From the menu - camera tab- digital zoom change to  off,  AF point zoom  off,   auto zoom set to   auto.

Press DISP button to adjust magnification - use arrow right to increase the level of

The problem is not with zoom, settings are same I've always used.  It still focuses occasionally, but it's basically useless for macro shots.  Most recently was using it outdoors in bright sunlight.  It's remotely possible I inadvertently changed something, I sometimes hear it beep when I'm handling the camera between shots and touch the display.  Thought I had disabled touch screen, will have to check, but don't know of any setting that would interfere with macro focusing.  Guess I'll reset it to defaults, set everything up again from scratch.

I sometimes hear it beep when I'm handling the camera between shots "

The beep that you hear means object not focused caused by shakes or the auto function is still working.

Ok you reset all, turn it off , turn on again and try macro if the symptom persist.

Compare handheld shot with  resting on any thing or on tripod and use timer.

Announcements