Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark II View Screen Issue

Chop
Apprentice

Hi All,

Just purchased the G7X Mark II.

When I am in the basic Video mode, and take a photo - this is a function of the camera to be able to do this - the image I get doesn't have the same field of view that I had in the view screen.  The photographed image is zoomed out (greater field of view) than that of the view screen before shooting this shot.

You may ask why I am shooting in Video mode - I want to be able to shoot both video and photos from the same mode.  In addition, and this is a big one - I can switch to macro in Video mode, where this functionality is not available in the Auto Mode.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

newsense52
Rising Star

the image I get doesn't have the same field of view that I had in the view screen.  The photographed image is zoomed out (greater field of view) than that of the view screen before shooting this shot.

In video mode recording - auto is the default mode of recording. At playback of still photo press disp and you will see the info of the photo which is the auto mode set up.  I suppose that match the aspect ratio of video recording and auto settings. If the video is taken with aspect ratio of 16:9, the still photo  taken in default mode is large size  and 4:3 ratio, Make sense?

View solution in original post

Yep, this is correcty and both of the above posts make sense.

I am a little bummed with the settings on this camera for photos in this case.  I will probably find myself shooting in custom mode, which I suppose will help me to get to know the camera a bit better in the long run.

Thanks to you both

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you tell us the actual pixel dimensions?

As a SWAG, I would say that the image is full resolution, while the video is reduced resolution. You might have to set the camera to record the same FOV as the video, i.e., 16:9.

newsense52
Rising Star

the image I get doesn't have the same field of view that I had in the view screen.  The photographed image is zoomed out (greater field of view) than that of the view screen before shooting this shot.

In video mode recording - auto is the default mode of recording. At playback of still photo press disp and you will see the info of the photo which is the auto mode set up.  I suppose that match the aspect ratio of video recording and auto settings. If the video is taken with aspect ratio of 16:9, the still photo  taken in default mode is large size  and 4:3 ratio, Make sense?

Yep, this is correcty and both of the above posts make sense.

I am a little bummed with the settings on this camera for photos in this case.  I will probably find myself shooting in custom mode, which I suppose will help me to get to know the camera a bit better in the long run.

Thanks to you both

Announcements