cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark II - No WiFi Software for Mac OS 10.11 and No USB Image Transfer to Mac Photos

NHCanonUser
Contributor

My subject line says it all - Canon does not appear to have any wifi software to allow my new G7X Mark II to link to El Capitan or later, and although my camera charges fine when connected to my Mac with a USB cable, Mac Photos does not recognize that a camera has been plugged in and images are ready for download.

In case anyone asks, yes, I did turn on image review in the camera after I plugged in the USB cable.  Still no recognition from Mac Photos.

So the only way I can transfer images to my Mac is with a card reader.  TG the card reader works!

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try running Image Capture while plugging in the camera.

All my canons have worked just fine when I plugged them into the computer.

kvbarkley,

Thanks for the suggestion, however, it does not work for me.  I turned on Image Capture, then plugged in my camera with the USB cable and the charging light came on, then I turned on image review in the camera, and nothing happened with Image Capture - Devices = 0, Shared = 0.  Then I turned on Photos and no camera was detected.

Can you think of anything I may be doing wrong?

There is no reason to turn on image review. Simply turn on the camera and let the computer access it. By hitting a camera button you might be turning off computer communication.

I have never used a Canon camera that uses USB charging. So that might add some wiredness.

Thanks again, but not turning on image review does not work for me either.

Maybe a Canon rep will reply to this thread at some point.

A Canon Rep will tell you to call Canon.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/Connecting-my-G7X-to-my-Mac-via-WiFi/td-p/177841

See message #8.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

As soon as you posted the link, I knew what the issue probably is. I need to remember that.

Hello to Conway,

Message 8 on the linked thread only seems to note that Canon does not yet have wifi software for OS 10.11, which I was already aware of.  Actually, I had found and read that link previously.  It also becomes clear when you go to the Canon website, which detects your OS version, and no CameraWindow software comes up for download if it detects El Capitan.

Right now I am most concerned that I can charge my camera with a USB cable but the same cable will not work to transfer images to my Mac using Photos.  It also won't work using Image Capture, but that is a lesser concern.  My camera is simply not detected by Photos or Image Capture.

Did I miss something in the linked thread, Message 8, that talked about image transfer with a USB cable?  The Canon rep did say in Message 4 that a USB cable can be used.  For me at this point, a USB cable cannot be used.  Maybe I am missing something that is clear to others.

"Right now I am most concerned that I can charge my camera with a USB cable but the same cable will not work to transfer images to my Mac using Photos."

Where did the cable come from?  Some cheap cables have only the power conductors, and make no data connections, at all!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements