cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ELPH 360HS- Snow mode missing?

kupe
Contributor

Hey gang-

I just purchased a new Powershot Elph 360HS. This is my fourth Elph since they were first introduced, and I've loved them all.

My concern is that the Snow shooting mode appears to have been removed from the 360HS. It was available as recently as on the Powershot 350HS. Am I missing it somewhere?

For those not familiar, this Shooting mode removes the bluish cast in photos taken with bright snowy backgrounds- i.e. ski scenes.    I will likely have to return the camera without this feature as I do lots of photography with snowy backgrounds.  

Thanks!

Kupe

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I just did a text search of the manual and found no mention of "snow".

Hi Kv-

Alas, I did the same.   My neighbor's 350HS has it, and so does my 310HS that the 360 was to have replaced.  

I'll probably be returning this one and hunting for a leftover 350HS somewhere.

Kupe

John_B
Rising Star

Hello kupe
Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your inquiry!

The ELPH 360HS does not have this mode automatically however you do still have the option to set a while balance. This is the same thing that the Snow mode did in previous cameras. 

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us. 

Thanks John.   Yes, I'm familiar with the Custom White Balance feature.   But to be used reliably, one needs to frequently re-evaluate and save the custom white balance setting.   And that is simply not viable for shooting winter sports scenes with friends while on the move in continuously changing light.   

I really cannot believe Canon removed that feature.   Just really disapointed.

Kupe

For shooting snow scenes it isn't just about warming the WB up a little by adding yellow.  You also need some + exposure compensation, about 1 to 1.5 stops, to prevent the camera's auto exposure meter from making the snow grey. 

It really isn't that hard to do.  Most cameras do not have a snow setting.

It can be hard to remember to do, but it helps to shoot in RAW so you are still free to make dramatic corrections to WB and exposure in post. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The Elph 360 does not have RAW capability, only JPEG. As for Exposure Compensation, it can do +/- 2. What it does have is I-Contrast, which helps a lot on my PowerShot SX150 IS.

Steve M.

Scotty-

True, most cameras do not have a Snow setting.   So all the more reason for Canon not to drop a simple no-cost software feature that distinguished the Elph line from the rest of the pack.

What is strange is that in a side-by-side comparison, every special-shooting mode from the 350HS and earlier was retained in the 360HS except for Snow mode.  Heck, they kept Fireworks mode.  

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it was unintentional.   More to the point, I'm sure it could be fixed with a firmware update.

Kupe  

Announcements