cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting pictures from a SX530 HS

kewkew34
Contributor

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone could help me. I just received the PowerShot SX530 HS for my birthday. We finally got a card reader so I could get my pictures onto the computer, as we couldn't get the WiFi connection to work. Now I am stuck with 400 and some pictures on my camera as I haven't been able to delete them for over a week. I can only find a way to delete one picture at a time. Is there a way to delete/erase all the pictures on my memory card at once like I was able to do on my last camera? 

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kewkew34,

Thanks for posting.

Happy (if belated) Birthday!

The easiest way to erase all images and movies is from your camera's memory card is to format it in the camera. To reduce chances of file/ image corruption, I recommend using the low-level option, at least once per month. For more on this, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the tip. So, it is safe to do this once a month or more? I did figure out how to have my computer delete them after importing. Which would be safer?
I am a bit concerned as this last time I imported my pictures using the card reader, when I put the memory card back in the camera I got a "memory card error" message. 

It was actually when I got that message that I remembered to get back on the forum here and saw this reply. So, I used this tip to format the memory card and it fixed the error. But now I am afraid to use the card reader. And I can't get the wi-fi connection to work to use that option for transferring pictures to my computer. 

Not sure if I should start a differnent message to ask this question or not. I think I will. 

Hi Kewkew34,

I format my memory cards in my camera frequently, more as a matter of habit than necessity.  It doesn't harm the memory cards.

We recommend against formatting memory cards with your computer because computers can format the memory cards so that they can't be used by your camera.

As long as your computer is just reading image information from the memory card in the card reader, and not writing to it, there's no harm in continuing to use the card reader.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements