cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Images from "SC" to "IMG"

EnergyGuys
Contributor

I need help!  We used our Canon yesterday, like we do every day, taking 100+ pics each day for our business, and for some reason, the pics that we took yesterday saved on the camera card as "SC" images and we can't view/download them.  DOes this mean that they're "raw" images?  How can we convert them to IMG images, so that we can use them?  And, we have never had this happen before, so how can we prevent it from happening in the future?  We took some very important pics yesterday, so I have my fingers crossed that someone will know what went wrong and how we can get our pics!  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

He is not having a problem with *.sc files but SC*.* files.

I also suspect a corrupt memory card. How Often do you format the card in the camera?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Tiffany

Hi EnergyGuys!

Welcome to the Canon Forum! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model camera you are using. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue. If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email. Thank you!

Thank you - we have three actually, and they show ELPH 190 IS on the front. I hope that helps -

EnergyGuys
Contributor

Really disappointed - I thought at least someone in a Canon community would have had this happen before and would know what to do. We have very  important Canon pics that we can't even use.  Is there another moderator that might be able to help?  I've requested assistance directly through Canon technicians, also without a response.

@EnergyGuys wrote:

Really disappointed - I thought at least someone in a Canon community would have had this happen before and would know what to do. We have very  important Canon pics that we can't even use.  Is there another moderator that might be able to help?  I've requested assistance directly through Canon technicians, also without a response.

Sorry EnergyGuys, not really sure how you ended up with *.sc files...there are no such things in a Canon camera.  Can you still view the pictures in camera?  My guess would be no.

It appears that the SD card somehow is corrupted.  This might happen if you removed the card while the camera or the computer is still reading/writing from/to it.  You might want to contact the SD card manufacturer...they might have software that can fix and recover the files.  Riskier but you can also search the internet and download similar software.  I did this to recover a portable hard drive I corrupted, with great success.

Best of luck to you and sorry about your trouble...it's a maddening feeling to lose precious memories like this...Hope you can recover the files. 

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

He is not having a problem with *.sc files but SC*.* files.

I also suspect a corrupt memory card. How Often do you format the card in the camera?

Yes, you're right. Originally, the pics didn't even appear on the card, so when I used Recuva to see what was actually on the card, they are on there as jpegs, ex. _SC04284.jpg.  I noticed that when I've used Recuva in the past, it always eliminates the first letter, such as _MG01234.jpg. I thought that if I knew what the first letter was supposed to be, I could try adding that and seeing if it will open that way, but I don't know what the missing letter is!  It's a mess all the way around, but it may be the card, since we use them every day, it may be worn out  I just hate that it happened on that day. I'll see what I can do about contacting the card manufacturer and we'll go from there. I just didn't want it to happen again, so I may just get new cards, and cycle them out every several months or so. Thank you both for your help.  I appreciate it!

How often do you format your cards in the camera?

@EnergyGuys wrote:

Yes, you're right. Originally, the pics didn't even appear on the card, so when I used Recuva to see what was actually on the card, they are on there as jpegs, ex. _SC04284.jpg.  I noticed that when I've used Recuva in the past, it always eliminates the first letter, such as _MG01234.jpg. I thought that if I knew what the first letter was supposed to be, I could try adding that and seeing if it will open that way, but I don't know what the missing letter is!  It's a mess all the way around, but it may be the card, since we use them every day, it may be worn out  I just hate that it happened on that day. I'll see what I can do about contacting the card manufacturer and we'll go from there. I just didn't want it to happen again, so I may just get new cards, and cycle them out every several months or so. Thank you both for your help.  I appreciate it!

The missing letter is a result of your camera being set to use the Adobe Color Profile, instead of sRGB.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you - but typically the images are saved on the camera card as "IMG_1234.jpg, and this time they didn't save on the card at all.  I only found them after I ran Recuva, then they came over as _SC0123.jpg.  I need to know how they can be converted or changed to IMG, if possible, since they won't open as they are. I tried adding a "D" in front, I tried taking out the "0" and changing it to an _, and nothing works. I think they're corrupted. I need to reformat the card again before taking additional pix, but just trying to open what I have. So far no luck.  Thanks-

Announcements