Canon Community Canon Community

Product Expert

Re: Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

Hi Numa1,

Thank you for posting.

For the wireless transfer of images to computers using Mac El Capitan and Mac Sierra operating systems, you must use a camera that supports Image Sync and you must use the Image Sync transfer method. For step-by-step instructions, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is a disgrace to Canon that the WirelessCameraService / Wireless-CameraWindow - issue for mac OS El 10.11 El Capitan and 10.12 Sierra has not yet been solved. El Capitan has been around for more than one and a half year and Sierra has been around since September 2016. Smiley Sad

The ImageSync process over the internet with the necessary up- and downloading of many tons of images seems to be a rather far-fetched (and expensive) solution to a banal software compatability problem. Smiley Sad

Canon is wasting the time of thousands of its customers as Canon does not make it clear at the time of camera purchase that Canon cameras do not support  wireless connection to Mac-computers. Smiley Sad

There is still no clarification from Canon about when OS El 10.11 El Capitan and 10.12 Sierra will be supported, - or if the company will ever support mac OS in this matter Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

New Contributor

Just bought my G7X II 3 days ago. I connected with my iPhone fairly easily, but for the life of me couldn't figure out why I kept seeing "Searching" when I tried to connect my Macbook Air, running El Capitan 10.11.6. Seriously, I had do a Google search to find this forum and discover Canon doesn't support it? Not cool, Canon! The ONLY saving grace is that it's so quick and easy to pull the card from the camera and plug it into my Mac to upload photos. I'm much more likely to want to use the WiFi connection with my phone. BUT, how ironic that I've paid for an up-to-date camera that actually isn't!

New Contributor

Hello,

I wonder if anybody knows if it is possible to conect a tablet or my MacBook Pro (Sierra) to my G7X so I can use it as a monitor when shooting video. Tethering I believe is called. Not sure.

I really hope it works! Its a great lil camera so I am not keen to get a DSLR

I look forward to your answers!

Thank you very much!

Mihaela

New Contributor

Hi, I have had my G7x connected to my Samsung for a while now, worked great. Then, today I tried to connect a tablet to it. Got same problem, but then I found out somewhere on Internet that you need to Reset WiFi settings. I have done that and worked! Hope that will work for you as well! Seams Like you cant have 2 dif devices there, just one at a time so you may need to start the whole connecting procedure again for your Mac. Hope it works for u!
Product Expert

Hi Mihaela,

Thank you for posting.

Your PowerShot G7 X can only display images on your television when the camera is in the playback mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mihaela!

My camera to tablet connection over WiFi has been working perfectly fine for me since the day I got my G7 X, using CameraWindow for iOS / iPad.

However the Canon camera WiFi incompatibility concerns the camera to computer WiFi connection for macOS 10.11 and 10.12 and Windows 10! Canon is unclear and misleading about the possibilities connecting Canon cameras to computers over WiFi: 

• Canon website information/disclaimer for only mentions Wi-Fi support for iOS and Android operating systems for smartphones and tablets. According to this Canon has obviously dropped all support for Wi-Fi camera to macOS and Windows computer connections!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-...

• Contrary to the disclaimer Canon User Guides (i.e. Canon G7 X and G7 X II) do mention support for both Windows and Mac OS X, - but specifically only mention older/obsolete versions of the operating systems („.. or later.“)

• The camera software interface on Canon cameras for setting up Wi-Fi connections clearly shows a computer icon Pasted Graphic.jpg (together with icons for cameras, smartphones/tablets, printers, Canon Image Gateway and Twitter) which suggests that WiFi connection to computers is possible. However selecting the icon leads to no conclusion („Device not found“). 

• The software compatibility information on the Canon website states the following:

Windows computers - Canon is unclear about the WiFi camera to computer compatibility:

„CameraWindow 8.8 and Wi-Fi connection setup 1.0.0 for Windows 10:

„A 2 below represents that, although a Windows 10 driver is currently not provided, Canon is currently evaluating the devices' compatibility with Windows 10; and, once determined, Canon may issue a Windows 10 driver in the future. We will update this page to reflect our findings.“  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/windows-compatibility/!ut...

Mac computers - No WiFi camera to computer compatibility since macOS El Capitan 10.11 which was released in 2015  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/Mac-OSX-Compatibility/

According to this Canon is giving contradictory and misleading information on whether or not Canon does support Wi-Fi camera to macOS and Windows computer connections! This has nothing to do with different regions of the world, - as hinted at by Canon moderators.

If Canon is dropping all support for Camera to Computer Wi-Fi connection the company should state this clearly in all camera information, i.e. in the camera software interface, user guides and on website information, instead of continuing to hint at possible Wi-Fi connections for obsolete computer operating systems, and thereby stop wasting the time of  thousands of its customers with confusing and misleading information on camera to computer Wi-Fi compatibility. 

This situation is a disgrace to Canon Smiley Sad : ( Smiley Sad

New Contributor

Let me first say this is my first Canon, and my second day of using it. Not very impressed so far after reading this, as well as experiencing problems connecting to my MacBook as well.

im having the same problem as all of you, only I just recently bought a G9X and having issues as stated above. Connected to my iPad no problem, as well as my iPhone. I have no luck connecting to MacBook however.

first of all, I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere in Canons website that connecting to CameraWindow on Mac requires 10.9 or later. If I didn't already waste my entire morning (2 1/2 hours to be exact) I would trace back and find the link the states this. 

Second of all, if it was clearly stated on the website that I read that my version of OS X wouldn't connect with my G9X, I wouldn't have wasted my entire morning, and I would be about 300% less aggravated then I currently am. PS I'm running El Captain 10.11.6. 

Third of all, I'm very happy to say that I recently purchased this, as I can easily return it. I agree with everyone above, that this is an absolute disgrace to the community of Canon users that this matter hasn't been resolved in over 6 months, when it was very clear that Canon was aware of the problem, yet refused to address it. That is a clear sign of terrible customer service....it's not like I'm trying to upload images onto my Atari....were trying to connect our camera on a system that's only a mere two years old.

this camera is great, takes great photos, all in a package that fits in your pocket. However, I cannot say the same for the lack of service.

end rant. Thanks for ruining my morning, Canon